Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the SP4, not sure of the lot number. You need to decide on what you're looking for in a PC. Sometimes I read posts and reviews and it looks like anything other than perfection is unacceptable so they're never happy. On the other side, guys I work with couldn't care less as long as it turns on and they can email. Guess I'm in the middle (self employed and pay for it myself), I know it is a tool, what I need it to do and it'll be gone within two years. If I was waiting at this point, I'd wait for the Surface 4 and see what that brings. If I was that worried about it, either buy in at an MS Store where you can open it and look at it, or from MS via internet as they have a good return policy, or, Amazon if they have a good return policy and get the insurance from MS.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This may be one of the toughest questions of all. I "insisted" on latest lot number with my third SB try, and it was no more stable than the previous one. I think with the exception of the Marvell wireless controller (PLEASE - MS - get a different controller - it has been nothing but a pain for all four generations of Surface Pro), the problems we have been experiencing are not hardware related, but are software, and with the new upgrade cadence from MS, I have to believe you have an equal chance of getting a solid device without regard to Lot Number...

I wonder how others feel about this?

mike_TPR likes this.
  3. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

My only hardware concern is a bleeding light effect. But again - people complain about it no matter of LOT number. And I can't imagine there is an easy fix for this, that can be applied during the production process without changing the certificates, ID numbers and way more than just LOT number...

4. JAMESMTL

JAMESMTL Pen Pal - Newbie

@dstrauss

the latest updates update the hd 540 on my i7. was previously using latest driver from intel.I dont know why they only listed the 520 in the release notes.

the intel drivers include all skylake integrated graphics options

from intel's release notes

This document provides information about Intel’s Graphics Driver for:

• 6th Generation Intel® Core Processors, Intel Core™ M, and related Intel® Pentium® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 510, 515, 520, 530, Intel® Iris Graphics 540 and Intel® Iris Graphics 550
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1500M v5 Family with Intel® HD Graphics P530
    • 5th Generation Intel® Core Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 5500, 5600, 6000, Intel Iris™ Graphics 6100, Iris Pro Graphics 6200 and select Intel® Pentium®/Intel® Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics
    • Intel® Core™ M Processor with Intel® HD Graphics 5300
    • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4200, 4400, 4600, 5000, Intel Iris™ Graphics 5100 and Intel® Iris Pro Graphics 5200 and select Intel Pentium/Intel Celeron Processors with Intel® HD Graphics

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think that driver that you are seeing installed is the previous update (1/12/16) driver, and there is a newer beta driver on the Intel website others are recommending.

6. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no light bleeding with SP4 lot 1601

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I decided to give up the i7 since it was overkill and the fan driving me nuts and went back to i5 (since I don't play hard core games so I don't need IRIS) its lot 1605 so really new build (Should be first week of Feb build)... will let people know how this one is on fan noise etc once it calms down from all the installs and updates etc,etc,etc.... I prob should not have had an i7 in the first place I mean I never needed that kind of CPU in the first place... I am just a tech nerd who wanted it :)

alextrela182 likes this.
  8. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

The latest update seems to have fixed the battery drain for me. I'm back to using sleep, and lost on 2% battery (57% to 55%) over 24 hours. I can definitely live with that.

9. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

First impresstions on i7/16/256:

Like the fingerprint reader. Using that to login. There was a little trickiness with all the updates, but seems robust afterwards. I even tried my hand painting the tiger in the paint program.

Regarding overkill, I opted for i7/16 to be future proof for a couple years. Couple years ago I bought a Win8 Asus me400 (atom, 2gig/64) and I never used it because too slow, finger too fat to be usable on desktop. That was about a $449 mistake. No more atoms for me.

Was little unsure when setting up users what is the difference between local users (family/non family) vs Microsoft account, but figured it out. Have two Microsoft account users.

Regarding all the stability stuff WinXP was rock solid. Understand always have to add new stuff, but getting back to something rock solid like XP should be the goal.

At the last minute I was like "wow the dell xps 15 looks good", but not buying a 4+ pound laptop.

In summary, loving the SP4 so far. Fears I had prior to purchase turned out to be unfounded (so far).

10. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the text glitch with Firefox after updating latest version of Intel Hd from Windows Update. Try the latest 4380 from Intel, still the same.

I will try to revert to the last stable driver 4352.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.