Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is the i7/8GB/256GB version. I might install the beta intel drivers if i keep getting the black screen of death

2. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

No issues when updating my Surface Pro 4 m3. 1% of battery drain every 50 minutes with Wifi off when in Sleep mode.

Less artefacts with Firefox, but still some ones.

3. mertzi

mertzi Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had really bad sleep drainage and have relied on hibernate. After installing the latest updates and changing every related power setting to sleep it dropped from 70% to 68% in 4 hours. Although I'm not sure it really was sleeping because when I pressed the power button it didn't react at first and then when holding it for maybe a second I got the login screen and had to type my password despite having set "Password protection on wakeup" to "Don't require a password". So it might have shut down even if I changed all related power settings to sleep.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's why I'm holding off pulling the trigger - Iris Graphics still worry me...

5. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Why if you can install a driver from Intel if you don't like the one from MS?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Just to level set, no Connected Standby machine "Sleeps" (which is traditionally S1 through S3 Power States, S3 being the most modern Sleep State). Connected Standby enabled Intel SoCs use S0iX which a superset of the S0 Power State (Powered On). S0iX is a Powered On Low Power State that is akin to an ARM based phone or tablet.

So technically the machine is on and can still carry out functions (like receiving mail, Skype Calls, etc.). Because Win32 is a legacy programming environment, it is not able to function in the S0iX Power State, so as a work around all Win32 Programs are forced into a virtual S3 State. WinRT based apps can remain functional.

Win32 Applications/Programs can misbehave and refuse to go into the virtual S3 state preventing the device to go into S0iX which causes the power drain. Also, with SkyLake Intel struggled with getting their SoCs to enter into DRIPs which allows for the lowest power levels.

The Surface Engineering team took it one step further and defaults their devices to use Hibernate after 120 minutes on the SkyLake/Cherry Trail (Win 10) devices or 240 minutes on Haswell/Cherry Trail (Win 8.x) devices.

7. Dayton

I don't like the settings to be inaccessible, such as those for Power and Scaling.

8. Dayton

Still receiving updates so looks like MS is still tweaking things. One thing I may try depending on the amount of battery drain during Sleep is to disable Windows Hello.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So does that mean the 1-4% drains being reported are for two hours, not the full shutdown period reported?

10. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Guys, please post the sleep report stating if you have hibernate after 120 minutes which should be the default. Otherwise people might think it spent the whole night sleeping when it actually hibernated after 2 hours.