Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjammin

benjammin Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, yes; the Holy Grail...
    Oh this dang computer science, it's just so HAAAAARD :D

2. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh all right. And why would you want to gain access to the hd control panel?

3. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm getting a lot of black screen from trying to wake up now. :( didn't before the update. My keyboard would light up but my screen wouldn't come back on. I tried windows-P as well without success. I have to hold down the power butto now to reset it.. Did it twice in the last 12 hours.

And computer science is hard. You don't know how many times i cringe when someone asks for a change in one of the programs I work on and says that's easy right? :| Some things ARE easy, but some things that seem easy on the outside can have big ramifications elsewhere. And this is for some simple programs I have I'd hate to image what things would be like for operating systems. I once did an exercise in college where a group of us had to mimic a very simple operating system. Yea.. i don't envy folks that do drivers and os's for a living for all the things they go through.
    especially when you have so many folks working on it. You also have to love technology change where code working in the past won't work in the future because of god knows what changed.

4. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

After new update, I start seeing artifacts in Firefox, never happen before with Intel beta driver. I will try a bit more before installing the latest driver from Intel.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Kind of like the little Dutch Boy - not enough fingers to plug the ever-leaking dike.

6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

so far its ok but I just updated this AM so we will see. Fan going more nuts that normal but that's typical for firmware update until it calms down a little bit. guess time will tell and we will see...

7. dstrauss

Proud of all you trailblazers - think I'll sit this one out for a few days given the large number of changes being made at one time. Plus, I'm still concerned about the absence of an Intel Graphics 540 driver in the mix.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

My SP4 seemed to work OK last night after having installation problems, but this morning, I had another logon failure (critical process died). Restarting restored operation, but the restart itself had problems.

Regarding battery life (using the Balanced power plan and just opening and closing the Type Cover), I lost 1% of battery life during a ~4 hours Sleep period last night and only 2% during a sleep period overnight (about 6.5 hours). So battery depletion is definitely much reduced for me...

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I must say that I have my doubt that MS will manage to eliminate 100% the sleep/connected standby issue on both Pro 4 or Book.

As it is today Windows as OS and what Intel delivers with the current x86 CPU can not reach ARM or mobile OS optimization and power management efficiency.

I don't know but maybe MS should use in future Windows OS build different file system technology and not that old old NTFS.

I thing the problem is in the core of the OS that need redesign from the beginning.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

efjay likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Sorry to hear about the restart issues, but if they've got us down to single digit overnight battery depletion, this is really great news!

Jeff has told me the Intel 520 driver should "work" for my Intel 540 i7 SP4, but I'm concerned about that because Iris Graphics have been a touchy issue in teh past with standard Intel drivers.

Anyone out there update an i7 yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.