Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Guys, changing the subject a bit, quick question:

Just got my surface pro 4, i5/8 gb/256 gb. I set it up and it installed critical updates. Now should I hit the Defer option or should I go ahead and update everything I can?
    Lot number is 1548.

Secondly, any other important step I should take in order to make things as smooth as possible with the surface? Talking about settings/software issues.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@dream3 I assume by "critical" you include Win 10 Pro v1511. If so, and everything is running well, you can defer upgrades (which will still send you virus updates) - remember deferral is approximately four months from release, so if the mythical power fix is issued, you may want to let it run in the wild for a few weeks; watch this site like a hawk; then lift the deferral embargo to update yours.

3. dream3

haha thanks dstrauss. That makes sense. How do I know whether I have 1511 installed or not? Maybe it deferred that one as well?

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

run winver it will let you know the version.

5. dream3

Im still on version 10240.

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. dream3

But do I even want version 1511? Or should I stick with 10240? One hour sleep drains about 2%, much less than what people are reporting.

And I cant really use windows update because it will push the newer updates, like the 01/27 firmware one.

8. dstrauss

1511 was a good improvement for me, but if you are only losing 2% per hour - you may want to just wait for the "final" upgrade...

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well if with 10240 you are total fine stay over there,but I don't know if staying the previous build version will be able to get important cumulative Windows update that maybe needed 1511 version to be installed.

And those cumulative update bring many improvement under the hood with the optimization of the core of Windows 10 OS.

And there is no final version of 10 because OS acting as a service with all the time getting upgrades for example RedStone and so on over the next years.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

10. dstrauss

Sorry - didn't mean "final" as in the final version of OS X (oh, sorry, I meant Windows 10 - they confused me there for a minute - LOL); I meant final in the sense of the power upgrade for Skylake - the "hard science problem"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.