Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I have no issues with the new firmware. My fans aren't running constantly and I am able to connect and disconnect from the dock without any problems. My two monitors come on no problem.

For those having the fans on i wonder what process is taking up the cpu cycles.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

I7/256/16. No issues since update.

3. wasabiman123

wasabiman123 Pen Pal - Newbie

4. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

Love it. Fans never come on unless I'm playing a game. Streams great. Battery has been fine. Windows Hello has worked without a hitch. No complaints whatsoever.

5. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

My SP4 has not experienced fan noise after the 1/27 firmware update. The latest firmware fixed the sleep issue for me. Before the update, the device simply died (100% chances) when put to sleep and I have to resort to hibernate. After the update, the device can wake up from CS without problem. I haven't manually installed the graphic driver yet. I wonder whether the firmware fix has to do with the lot number of these devices ... it would be stupid if they only test the firmware on newer batches.

My lot number should be the latest (1602, i7/1T/16), comes with Win10 1511 pre-installed. I only needed to install the December firmware update out of the box. I was able to remove a spot on the glass (luckily it's not a defect or it will be returned). I am very happy with this i7. The fan stays quiet even when I run benchmarks. Gaming is relative quiet as well unless you play at 3k resolution, then I might need an external fan to alleviate power throttling and improve game fps. There is absolutely no light bleeding (unlike my previous i5) and bad pixel at max brightness ... the black level is ok - it's not AMOLED. This makes me think the latest lot has improved QC.

The biggest shortcoming of SP4 for me is the N-trig digitizer. It is so sluggish to me after being used to Wacom EMR and AES. I immediately felt disgusted of my handwriting as soon as I wrote a few words on SP4; on the contrary, I immediately fell in love with writing when using Wacom EMR or AES. The inferior writing experience on SP4 is a hindrance to my productivity in my opinion because I like to jot down ideas and a great writing experience is a great boost to my thinking and confidence. I think MS should just dump N-trig and use Wacom instead.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    benjammin likes this.
  6. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

Since latest update. Zero issues for me so far. Battery life is great. Windows hello working good....no freezes... never had a fan issue (heard it 2 or 3 times since ive owned the unit)

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

7. benjammin

benjammin Pen Pal - Newbie

I would be down with that! Drawing on my CC1 was a much better experience -everything else was NOT :)

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No one (or even major) culprit - every once in a while Chrome got to two digits, but not often, and rest of the 15-30% was spread across applications.

Glad to hear others are doing well. I'm hoping mine tames down because I really like it (or did, a lot, before the upgrade).

9. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

No recovery point to roll back to and wait for the next round of updates to see where it goes?

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

These are firmware updates - don't think you can roll those back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.