Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

ARRGGGGGGHHHHH - why always me (Panos, do you really hate me this much)...

Anyone else having video problems with external monitors and the dock? For the first time (after allowing the upgrade) my external monitors have randomly switched resolution scaling so that all of my windows are gigantic and off the screen - you can't reach any menus, see any bottom bars, and have to Ctrl-Alt-Del shut down to restart and bring up up in regular resolution. Has happened twice so far; working regular for last two hours - until this update (downgrade) it has been 7 solid days of bliss - WTF?

Oh, by the way, fan has been running almost non-stop since this morning as well - not as loud as my former SP3, but never constant before either, even during first setup and indexing - WTF2?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

After every update I lose one monitor, the one connected to the dock's mDP port. Never fails, then after a few days Microsoft realized that they -- once again -- FUBARed and and out a small correction to enable the port. This time I was also blessed with hysterical flicking that didn't go away until I disconnected all external monitors. Thank you Microsoft, I needed to clean up behind them.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. dstrauss

The moral of our story folks:

If it's currently broke, accept updates, but expect more fractures...

If it is working - BLOCK ALL UPDATES - because it will be broke when they get finished!

So now that they broke it, I guess I just keep waiting for more trouble with follow-up updates...

PS - my fan has now run constantly for three hours - never more than 15-20 minutes before - TOPS!

PPS - super-sized Word again but was able to Ctrl-S and restart computer - running normal (except for un-ending fan noise) again...

PPPS - this is insane - clicked on Window icon in lower left corner and the Start Menu detached (jumped up and to right as if an application window, then disappeared) - I'd say video is about shot for now - DON'T UPGRADE IF YOU CAN AVOID IT!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know what this exclamation mark symbol means? It was there from the beginning, and it's nowhere near full.

Attached Files:

5. dstrauss

This fan deal is driving me insane - runs non-stop yet device manager is only showing utilization fluctuating between 15-30% of CPU capacity - WTH?

6. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like a BltLocker Encryption warning.

7. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay, nothing serious then?

Regarding fan noise, i barely hear a peep out of my i5

8. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

How about a clean install? my SP4 i5 has latest Windows, firmware, driver update, and I never hear the fan.

9. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

It looks like the biggest SP4 issue is failure to properly implement Connected Standby and drain battery. What does Connected Standby actually do for me as an end user?

Just a quick little background...
    I'm a retired embedded software engineer. I have used PCs since the old Northgate days. I actually got to play around with the old DG-One "laptop". My first purchased laptop was an IBM A21p. I also have an iPad. ;)

I understand the differences and tradeoffs between powering a CPU off, hibernate and standby. I understand what they do and what they buy for me as an end user.

I hate to admit it, but I'm totally confused by what we get from Connected Standby? I read this article:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn481238(v=vs.85).aspx

And it didn't help much. I get that Microsoft wants their tablet/OS to be more "tablet-y", with instant on. But what is CS giving me that I can't get from standby?

I know that my SP2 doesn't have CS. So I can't have the Alarm app actually turn on the machine. But what other features am I missing with a lack of CS?

Can a machine in CS turn on and download email? How does CS know which email application to use? What if you have a full featured email program like Outlook? Is this going to drain more battery to wake up the CPU from CS and suck down mail?

Anyway, appreciate all of the technical descriptions for Connected Standby, but given the problems in its implementation, I really want to know what we're getting as consumers.

p.s. and I find this part of the article troubling:
    While the system is in connected standby, it can pass through various hardware and software operating modes. For most of the time spent in connected standby, the hardware is in a low-power state and the software is paused or stopped. However, the system intermittently powers up to process an incoming email, alert the user to an incoming Skype call, or perform other app-related background activities.​

What if I'm walking around with my machine in its case in CS and it receives an incoming event that wakes up the device while it is in its case? I don't want my machine overheating because someone tried to call me on Skype. I just want my machine to be able to enter a low power mode when I want and I want it to wake up quickly when I want...

Thanks!

dstrauss likes this.
  10. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

None of the software can detect this drive :(

I tried the Samsung NVMe Driver installer, Samsung Data Migration, Samsung Magician, HD Sentinel, all points to unknown drive or 'please connect to a Samsung Drive', or 'Only Samsung Drive is supported', etc. Yet the drive manufacture is Samsungo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.