Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

I use SP4 for nearly a week, and today it's my first time hearing the fan noise, when I upgrade my firmware.

I also notice that installing the color profile from notebookcheck fix my screen's white balance significantly at low brightness, you dhould check it out.

The only complain is battery life, I only get 4-5 hours.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The i7 model that I had, for awhile, featured a very stable and well behaved fan. No complaints.

The Core M I'm using now is, of course, fan free and fancy free. (That sounded better in my head)

3. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe they can't fix the major issues thru firmware updates...then what..

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea I would love to see what this is

Surface Embedded Controller Firmware (v103.899.256.0) adds battery charging enhancements and thermal tuning.

at least details on what EXACTLY it does....

5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Curious how your battery life is compared to the SP you had. Much of what I've read says the M is doing worse than the Core i's.

6. wasabiman123

wasabiman123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey can I get detailed performance impressions from SP4 Core M users?
    I have the i5/256/8GB model and I have until Saturday to either upgrade to the i7 or save a lot of $ and go to the Core M.
    I've found storage isn't as much of an issue as I thought now with this 200 GB micro SD...
    I use OneNote/inking daily in classes, occasional Adobe Lightroom, which does get RAM use to bump up past 5/6 GB so I'm a tad concerned about the 4GB in the Core M, but I think it could work I usually like to keep my photo editing short if possible...
    I figure saving the $ (300$ to700$ depending on i5/i7 comparison) going with Core M gives me fanlessness, and more of an incentive to jump to the SP5 earlier, kinda bummed the SP4 doesn't have type C :I

7. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but I'm hoping somebody here can answer/provide some insight.

As soon as I purchased my SP4 I disabled Connected Standby, began using Hibernate only, and I also created a power plan that throttled my CPU down to 95%. I use that power plan most often, and then when I'm really doing work that can suck up resources I use desktop shortcuts to switch to the balanced plan or one that just allows for full, unadulterated performance while on battery.

Now that I've had the SP 4 for a month or so and have settled into typical usage, I'd actually like to have sleep (maybe for just 5-10 minutes before kicking into hibernate). If I enable CS though, I lose the CPU Max setting in the power plans (along with other options). And I would still like to maintain a plan that throttles the CPU.

So..

1) If I have an existing power plan with the CPU Max adjusted, does that stay in tact even though I can't see the option after enabling CS again?

2) Is there a way to enable the CPU Max option without disabling Connected Standby?

8. JAMESMTL

JAMESMTL Pen Pal - Newbie

9. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a detailed review of the M3 version. Good luck with your decision. I've used an m3, i5 and i7 model. I settled on the i7 personally.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3-Tablet-Review.153843.0.html

10. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like the new firmware does not contain the fix for sleep, back to enabling hibernate in place of sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.