Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can definitely return the pen independent of the device if its malfunctioning, but my personal recommendation would be to just exchange the whole thing if you are within your return window. I know it can be frustrating to go through the process of resetting a device and starting from scratch, but if you are having that many problems already, who knows what else you will run into. That said, if you have MS Complete, you could still go back later and if MS can't fix it, they'll replace it. By then, though, you're more likely to have even more stuff on your SP4, making the process of replacing it even more frustrating.

You would think these devices would be exactly the same. They aren't. I had previous versions that had one bug or another. The one I have now is flawless. I wouldn't suggest settling.

Jimothy likes this.
  2. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Damn I'm about to buy my 256GB/8GB and now I don't know if I should go the a MS Store or buy it through Amazon. I won't be able to return it since a friend of mine will be picking it up for me so I would like to find out from which place I have more chances of getting a flawless unit.

3. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

That seems to be a crap shoot. No way to know ahead of time I'm afraid.

4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I am perfectly happy with my i7/256/8gb unit

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Your friend can at least turn it on while at the store and make sure it looks right out of the box for things like dead pixels. I much prefer buying from the store.

6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Stupid question - does leaving the sp4 plugged in most of the time hurt the battery? I would think not that much but figured I would ask this stupid question ... Since my brain is fried lately

MetalSiren

7. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Same with my i7/256/16, best ultra book I've purchased so far.

8. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Tough to say, if the SP4 stops charging when "full" then it shouldn't hurt the battery. But does it continue to charge even if it says it isn't?, if so that would hurt the battery.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...if the SP4 stops charging when "full" then it shouldn't hurt the battery...>>

...More generally, keeping a battery constantly at 100% charge does result in accelerated aging of the battery. Elevated temperature (which might result from being constantly plugged in) also accelerates aging. Years ago, Li-ion batteries had severe issues in this regard; more modern battery designs are much improved, but there is still some degree of adverse effects. As I have often said before, batteries are meant to be used, and I believe you will realize the best overall life and performance if you do...

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So using it in the dock like 98% off the time is a no no?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.