Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I used to feel the same way about having a smaller device, but I think I've changed on that dramatically. Although I think the SP3/SP4 form factor is the max size I'd want (I can say that without a doubt after the Surface Book) I still think it is the right all around form factor for note taking and computing. I would love to have an active stylus built into my phone for impromptu note taking, but I want the full screen for the real deal.

I'm sure some would say its just sour grapes (because of my Surface Book failures), but I think the Surface Pro has hit the best size for a tablet and a laptop (BUT - come on Microsoft, use the smart screen technology and squeeze a 13"+ screen in that SP4 frame - ditch the camera and go fingerprint log in - it really works great on the new keyboard. I wonder if people really use the front facing camera on laptops even once a month (I've never used one).

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The new Intel Video Driver fixes most of the remaining issues, we should see a new Firmware update soon, hopefully this week.

dstrauss likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What Jeff said above - but I would add that until that firmware surfaces (pun intended - because my bet is it won't work the first time) be sure to set your sleep options to go into hibernation after 10-15 minutes - it will substantially preserve battery life. It made worlds of difference on the SPro 3, Surface Book, and now the Surface Pro 4.

4. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

After the latest update... i havent experienced any bugs.

Sure i had an embarassing moment on my business trip earlier this week..when the sp4 froze and was unresponsive...

But since then... working flawlessly..

Lets see... i love this machine...its perfect for me and my needs

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had the exact same model since a few days after Christmas and haven't had any of the issues from early on (referring to crashes, battery life in sleep is still not fixed).

Pen is fine. The screen will flex if you press down on it hard, but I draw and take notes on mine often and it's really not an issue for me. I feel like a lot of the negative stuff outside of the battery and intel drivers that people have complained about (light bleed, screen flex, etc.) are people really looking for something or expecting something unrealistic.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  6. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there anyway to make a screenshot captured by double-clicking the eraser launch in the desktop version of OneNote rather than the mobile app?

7. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sweet guys, great to know most of the software bugs are being successfully ironed out!

Lastly about the screen flex/rainbow effect, you really have to push HARD in order to replicate it? Is that everybody's impression too?
    I'll be using it for digital painting/drawing 90% of the time so this is CRUCIAL for me people. If it's not too much could you guys check that out and write a few words back here?

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've never seen it, I only ink notes that includes engineering type drawings and flowcharts.

9. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my SP4 for 3 weeks now--use it every day for most of my work day--and it has been great overall. I've read about the screen "bending" and while I guess I've noticed a tiny bit of flex a couple times, it's never bothered me and doesn't effect the pen experience (at least for me). Unlike @spindoc77, my battery life hasn't been bad--about the same as my SP3, which is between 5.5 and 7.5 hours of "up" time, depending on what I'm doing. That almost always gets me through the day.

The only problems I'm still having are power related. Sometimes it doesn't wake from sleep/hibernate properly, and every now and then (a couple times a week maybe) I get bad battery drain even when it's supposed to be kicking over to hibernate. Otherwise, love the new display, and the increase in screen size, though small, is still appreciated. Speakers are good, it's fast, and the fan almost never comes on in my use case. It's as good as silent.

10. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes. You need to go into the surface app thats on your tablet..or download it from the windows store.

If the surface app doesnt give you the option to customize the pen... then uninstall the app....and reinstall after after the windows 10 update.... and try it again.... will work

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.