Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how many different power supplies there are for the various SP4 models? Do the m3, i5 and i7 all share the same sized power supply?

I know they all share the same power connector.

I was doing some reading on surfaceforums.net, and one of the threads made it sound like the i7 version would draw more power than the power supply could supply. So it would drain battery, even when plugged in.

Doing a little more research, it looks like there are several different options.
    1.SP3 power supply rated at 36W
    2. SP4/SB power supply rated at 65W
    3. SP4/SB Dock power supply, rated at 90W

The thread implied that you needed the dock to be able to use/charge SP4 at the same time.

I wonder if someone was using the 35W by mistake?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've seen a good number of reports of battery drain while using the SP3 charger, but not while using the 65W SP4 charger. That would be my guess.

3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Dale are you thinking of moving to a SB again?

4. ctdw

ctdw Pen Pal - Newbie

My SP4 i5 came with a 35W power supply...so I ordered the SP3 version for my spares (same 35W as what I got with the SP4). I assume the i7 models come with the SP4 version (65W) which is also physically bigger. I have had no issues with it not charging while in use (i5).

5. dstrauss

I just don't know - I really like the SP3 form factor - and like I said earlier today, it is great when it is working, but a b$%#@ when it caves. It still looks to me like the SB caves even more, so it looks to be going from the frying pan to the fire.

Thoughts?

6. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

I have experienced battery drain on the i7/16GB SP4 when plugged in playing Star Wars the Old Republic. It has so far been the only app that has caused this but I assume it would be a similar scenario for many games, or even apps, that work the SP4. I have the 65W power supply sold as an accessory on the way. I will soon see if it can power the SP4 when under load better that the pack-in power supply.

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Still giving my SB 1549 lot it's paces, I have contacted MSFT and they said they will replace my book since the Iris Scanner Camera for Hello hasnt been turning on... The screen is really screwed up, I cant dock in reverse mode. The hardware failure light shows up on the detach button, and it shows up on my task bar.

I love the concept, the execution could be done better. I keep waffling, get the Thinkpad p40 YOGA? Or just stay and be an adopter of the Book?

Hard to say at this point, I think from a hardware perspective (minus the screen), Lenovo would give me prob a better bang for buck than the book. REALLY hard to say. Whatever I do choose... I want there to be one unified pen for both my devices.

8. dstrauss

If I could ever get the SP3 to undock successfully every time (fat chance, I know) I would not hesitate to stay with it. With the SP4 keyboard and pen, it is nearly perfect, and I have never run out of processing power in my use case - couple of days ago I had 4 Word documents, 2 Excel spreadsheets, OneNote, Westlaw, an 8-10 tab Chrome session, email, and Windows Weekly all running at one time with no hiccups. You have to like that from a sub 2 pound "tablet."

My rational mind keeps asking me - what will the SB or SP4 do for me that my i7/512gb SP3 is already delivering (probably a much quieter fan experience is truly about all).

9. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

So my saga with microsoft store is finally over... haha just wanted this with you guys.

I ordered a s4 i5 8gb 256 model directly from ms store online. I usually order from amazon..but i decided to order directly from ms. On jan 02 i completed my order... and paid for expediated shipping as i an out of the country and will return jan 07..and then fly out again.

On jan 2... my credit card company verified that the purchase was legit...and i got my email from ms on my order.

Jan 04 am i check online the status of my order and it says only ORDER IN PROCESS. Ok no problem.... around 6pm i go back online to see if maybe its been shipped. Same status..... so i call a ms CSR and they tell me..... ahh is being shipped tonight..no worries check tomorrow am.

Jan 05. I check and same status. I call again to ms CSR and they tell me....ahh will ship today
    .sorry for delay..we will refund the expediated shipping cost due to the delay...in the afternoon you will have tracking info. Ok...now im getting alittle concerned..but all seems ok. By 6pm again no change..no tracking...nothing except ORDER IN PROCESS.

Jan 06... i call again as no change on website. This CSR tells me... ohhh the Surface 4 is backordered..so thats why it hasnt shipped. Im like WTF.... why doesnt the website warn that there is no inventory..... she tells me...no way your getting this by jan 7... maybe jan 11 but i will check. I told her that wouldnt work and if i could go to the ms store and cancel my order online. She said ok... but told me to call back after going to ms store in case i changed my mind..etc

So i call the ms store and verify that they have the surface and type cover.... cool. I call my wife and ask her to do me favor and head out ms store ...since time is running out.
    My wife says... oh your surface? Yea that arrived the house yesterday.... WHAT? Im asked to double check because i ordered some surface accesssories on amazon and thought maybe she got confused...... but not she sent me the pic.. hhahaa

Crazzzzzyyy i was so flipping out...and MS did in fact ship it...

Anyways...will finally get my hands on it soon... after days and days debating i got the i5 model. The core m with 128gb would have been the choice had the 8gb of ram been an option. All well..i paid alittle more..but maybe it lasts long for me.

Ive been working with a thinkpad 2 for over 2 years...as my work and home laptop.... it has just gotten so painfully slow at times...that an upgrade was a must....suprised i lasted this long.

Anyways..cant wait to add some info on my experience here...

Just a funny story i thought i wiuld add.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

10. dstrauss

Microsoft online store and shipping departments:

[​IMG]

spinedoc77 and edaniels like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.