Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not so fast, cowboy...

Everything technically has an "optional Bluetooth stylus". Until I hear it from the horse's mouth that S-Pen's don't work, I'm not giving up.

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Also the system is hamstrung with 4gb of ram. As they say in the gaming universe.... GG

3. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably dreaming here, but any reason why wacom aes drivers couldn't be made available for a surface pro? The fundamental tech seems the same as ntrig, right?
    Interested to see if the new aes pens are a big improvement. I'm 'making do' with the surface pen, but would love some wacom goodness

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Has anyone ever decided Wacom AES is as good as Wacom EMR?

5. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

My understanding is that it's a compromise technology that allows devices to be thinner so they appeal to normies. I'm unclear as to whether aes is as much of a compromise as ntrig

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mine was 1549 earlier December production.
    Very little change to see 16** until February.

7. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

I was able to find a 1550 mention somewhere in the web already.

By the way... does anyone know if Samsung Pro 950 512GB NVMe will work with the SP4? The included PM951 is low performance drive, I'm hoping to exchange it for SM951 NVMe or 950 Pro. Anyone with some experience on that field?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. iridescentFUZZ

iridescentFUZZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Having followed this monster 200-page thread since the beginning, and with the Surface Pro line(both 3 and 4) finally launching in my country, I was hoping for something of a consensus on a few questions.

I'll mainly be using this for my art, though I don't really intend to do my higher quality, finished work on it. Stuff like digital painting/sculpting, no more than 3000x2000 resolution and at most 10-ish layers. For me, the ideal configuration would be i5/8/256, though I imagine I could get by with an m3/4GB.
    I do want something with the best possible battery life, and from what I recall, the m3 seems really crappy in that respect. Additionally, if the i5/8/256 Pro 4 is too expensive(import taxes, etc), and the m3 has terrible battery life, I don't even mind going for the i5 Pro 3.
    Apart from connected standby fixes on the Pro 4, is there any chance Microsoft/Intel will release drivers/firmware to improve CPU power management(and subsequently, battery life), especially for the m3 version? I recall Skylake was supposed to be significantly less power-hungry. Lastly, how many people are still having various issues like screen colour flicker, black screens, non-detected keyboards, driver crashes, etc?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Dale. All my experiences with Wacom AES have been positive. Edge to Edge accuracy is great, its silky smooth. Since you have used EMR quite a bit the texture on the screen will be very similar to what you have experienced in the past.

Since you have played with the new SP4 pen, the only gripe you may have is that the nib to glass feature is not grippy enough. It feels just like the TPT2 and SP2.

Wacom AES is wonderful. As a note taker only, I find 0 faults with it. You will be pleasantly surprised.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well is little difficult to say if drivers/firmware update will improve battery life but never say never.
    We've been seeing this happened with Pro 3 after 2-3 months a firmware/driver update delivered boost to the battery life.

Probably will see improvement and with Pro 4 as I believe that MS/Intel delivered very earlier drivers with missing optimization on Pro 4.

But from the other hand I don't expect to be significantly but minor because Pro 4 has much brighter screen and higher resolution panel and also MS decrease battery capacity from 42Mh to 38Mh and for that reason I don't expect miracle.

From the other hand I don't personally recommend m3 version.
    It's not worth compared to i5.
    It's not totally silent plus not deliver better battery life.

That's way my suggestion is getting i5 version.

As for issue that you describe I got minor minor flickering when putting the brightness to 0% but not issue to me as this happened and with Pro 2/3 and Surface 3 I got over 2.5 years.

No other issue with last month firmware updates.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

iridescentFUZZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.