Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't explain "feel" since I'm totally left brain, but I can write on the Samsung tablet, or older Surface Pro 2, much more smoothly and naturally than either the SP3 or SP4. Very subjective, I know, but for a more real world impact, you can't get a silo sized stick, like an S-Pen, with the N-Trig. EMR is just more efficient that way.

2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the new HP Elite X2 1012 changes the game for me. MS Surface is not my top choice any more.

Key advantages of Elite X2 1012 (see above link) -
    • Fanless Core M (up to M7)
    • Components can be self-serviced/replaced
    • PCIe based M.2. NVMe SSD (you can replace that with a Samsung 950 Pro - 2,500 MB/s read and 1,500 MB/s write speed!)
    • WiGig wireless docking - Superspeed 7Gbps wireless docking within 1.2 meter with all the ports you needed.
    • THREE buttons 2048 levels Wacom AES digitizer with 3D TILTING support (>60 degree from vertical) - Seriously? Wacom AES with tilting support? The ultimate art machine?
    • Most importantly, THUNDERBOLT 3 (with USB type-c 3.1) - why stick to iris 540 (i7 SP4) when you can dock a desktop eGPU via TB3?
    I always thought that the SP4 i7 with iris graphics was the smallest package to get some serious video editing work done. With the advent of TB3 in thin&light Core M devices, you can get BOTH fanless and serious graphics power. I can finally abandon those hot and noisy Core i processors in my future tablets. Hopefully other OEMs will follow HP's lead and release more premium Core M devices w/ TB3 (and 3K/4K display please!)

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But what about battery life?
    Any kind review I have read about HP X2 all saying is not as good as should be for Core M CPU with 4.5W TDP.

That's the major issue in all Skylake Core M device.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

4. wataru

This is not the Spectra X2. This is the upgraded version (Elite X2) that's only begun to be available this January. There is no review yet unfortunately. I suspect Core M battery life won't be better than Core i except for standby time perhaps. But some forum members have ordered them so hopefully we can get some early ideas (esp. pen w/ tilt and eGPU docking that interest me most).

5. alextrela182

Ok my mistake.
    I hope the new upgraded version have good performance in battery life than Spectre X2.

And most of all HP should improve the global released of the product as MS do with Surface tablet.

That's major issue of HP and Dell today.

As I see they maintain the resolution screen to more battery life friendly level and keeping 3:2 aspect.

As I see deliver very good level battery capacity 40Wh so the possibility of bringing very good battery life is very high.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. wataru

It's actually being sold on HP website in Germany.
    http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=L5H14EA&opt=ABD&sel=DEF

Expensive as hell. I would not likely get one because of its price.

7. alextrela182

Wow that's very very expensive price.
    Almost double than m3 Pro 4 in Europe.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

8. wataru

The m3 model (similar spec as m3 SP4) is priced 999 euro (keyboard included?), though you still might want to upgrade the SATA3 SSD to PCIe SSD yourself later. The m5 model is priced 1399 euro (w/ 8GB and 256GB). Ideally I would like m3 w/ 8GB and upgrade SSD myself. RAM is soldered on board.
    http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=NTB&id=L5H00EA&opt=ABD&p=b-hp-elite-x2-1012
    http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=L5H03EA&opt=ABD&sel=NTB

9. alextrela182

Yes the 8/256 is not so bad and keyboard including in the package for the price.
    But the most important is that the battery capacity is higher than Spectre X2 -40Mh vs 30Mh.

That's very good sign.

Well will see.

I'm waiting i5 Pro 4 on Tuesday from Amazon since I return both m3 I have earlier because of the disappointing battery life they both had plus dead pixel spot in the second one with some blizzard electrical noise also had.

If i5 not delivered better battery life maybe consider Elite x2 as alternative proposal.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the sp4 pen, I just find it useless because I never have it on me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.