Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

110% this. Basically every option seems to have at least one deal breaking flaw at the moment, so I completely understand your dilemma. I ended up picking a SP4 for the sake of picking SOMETHING while I wait for my ideal device, which I suspect and hope will be the Wacom Cintiq Companion 3, if and when that materialises.

The conclusion I seem to be coming to is that I'll take extra parallax any day of the week if it provides a more natural drawing experience. I've just been trying to draw in Photoshop on my SP4 and the N-Trig pen is fighting me every step of the way. The activation force issue is currently really annoying me and it's gonna take time to adapt. It seems better in Clip Studio but still an issue.
    I've tried to enlarge the icons in photoshop cs6; all the guides online say to go to preferences > experimental settings, but my version of CS6 doesn't have this experimental settings option, so it seems like I'm stuck with small icons?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. JAMESMTL

JAMESMTL Pen Pal - Newbie

i suspect setting prefer external manifest in registry along with a manifest file would scale up your icons to a usable size.

3. benjammin

benjammin Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried updating your CS6? Seems like I remember that functionality was added in an update -it wasn't included in the original CS6 install but was added in an update which came out after CS6 had been out for a while (if I remember correctly).

Personally, I found the CS6 touch interface a step in the right direction but still unfriendly. CC is much better, with the option to create custom toolbars, but Manga Studio is my go-to drawing app; it works well with .psd files so I only jump into Photoshop when I absolutely have to...
    FWIW

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I want Wacom back SOOOOOO bad. I know it won't happen, but I played with the simple S-Note App on a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 with its S-Pen (WHICH FITS IN A SILO!) and it was better than my new N-Trig on my SP3...and its is thinner and lighter than an SP3, so the digitizer stack can't be the issue...PANOS, GO BUY WACOM ALREADY...

Sorry to hujack, but has anyone used the GTA for handwritten notes in OneNote?

spinedoc77 likes this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Guh. Just lost all sound on mine. It wouldn't record via the stereo mix, earlier today, so just about to put the Dolphin Emu on and... no sound. Possible power issue. NoooOoooo. Working on it.

Fixed. Did the usual power button and speaker button trick.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

You mean the Dolphin Gamecube emulator? I tried installing that out of interest, but it wouldn't let me use opengl, while every other option gave errors

7. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys.. thinking of picking up a surface 4 off a vendor in ebay. The seller doesnt take returns...but its a brand new unit. If something is wrong..i can send the surface to microsoft right?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is the issue. When people say "Wacom has issues" what they really should say is "Wacom has issues on windows tablets" Wacom doesn't seem to have many issues at all on Samsung tablets. That's why I'm looking forward to the Samsung tablet. Whatever backroom handshake deal they have with Wacom will ensure their tablet has the best digitizer, and they are the only company which understands the need for a silo.

As usual it will end up being an impossible decision. My prediction it will be the SP4 incredible keyboard and kickstand versus the Samsung's pen silo and Wacom EMR.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

10. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Notwithstanding the silo issue (which to me is an entirely separate thing--and I would love one), I'm not understanding why people are down on the Surface pen. I've used the SP3, and now the SP4, pretty much daily since August 2014 and I've found the pen performance to be great for note-taking, teaching, diagramming, annotating, outlining, etc. I get that the Surface Pen (and the Surface Pros) may not be ideal for artists, but for business/education purposes, what's it lacking that Wacom's got?

surfaceproartist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.