Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem seems to be that there is just nothing that good to choose which keeps everybody hoping there will be soon. They all have problems and most of them have problems serious enough to not want to keep them.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You're preaching to the choir here. A silo pen is not an option to me ... it should be standard. It is the thing I love most about my GN5.

3. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, soooo I finally got the Surface App working again (for those who are keeping track) but I was just trying to use the pen tool in Illustrator and noticed I was having A LOT of difficulty getting it to recognize I was placing vector points down. Anyone else have this problem? And if so, how to fix it?

ps. The "fix" for the MS Store/Surface App bug ended up being doing that semi-reformat where you reinstall Windows but keep your files. Apparently, a lot of people have had this same issue.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@spinedoc The problem with EMR is that it can be very inaccurate and calibration tends to drift around the edges. Remember all the errors in the Asus Vivotab Note 8?

The thickness of the digitizer layer also creates much larger parallax than is found with active pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'll trade all of that for a "stick" that fits in a silo in the frame. There are WAY TOO MANY times I have to play "where's the pen" when using my SP3. Now maybe the magnet would help, but it still gets lost in your bag, AND I don't want anything hanging on to or out of my tablet. Top that all off with the unbelievable convenience of using the same pen with your tablet and say a GN5.

I can understand that edge accuracy, drift, and parallax are serious issues for artists, but most of us buying Surface devices are note takers, where these are far less an issue. For me, the Wacom in Surface Pro 2 was better than N-Trig has been even in the Surface Pro 4. Now, if Panos is finalizing that N-Trig stick from 2012 for a Surface Phone with a silo...then let's talk.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Telstar1948 likes this.
  6. dstrauss

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

dstrauss, don't tell me that's your pocket protector... :D:D

8. dstrauss

Ha ha ha - afraid not - it's the secret display case that N-Trig used to disclosed the new pens to The Verge...more like a Cuban cigar display...

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree. I think the silo idea is an obvious and very necessary design choice; I never worry about losing my travel stylus, whereas even in the relatively controlled environment of my home studio I find I have minor panics from time to time when that $100 Wacom pen goes awandering. I found the silly thing in the kitchen once.

It may seem counter-intuitive to think it, but while edge-accuracy problems can be a little challenging when pulling drop-down menus and such, drift and parallax aren't concerns for me in the slightest. I think it understandably worries artists when they're just getting started with the digital medium, but if they don't naturally adapt, then I think it simply means they're not doing enough drawing. It really doesn't take very long to stop even noticing. I think perhaps having a reliable floating cursor helps a good deal, which is where the N-Trig "Huh? Oh, you mean there?" system falls down.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know this has been spoken about before, but the Samsung Note tablets with Wacom EMR don't show this inaccuracy from what I understand. While I've used them and find them very accurate on the edges, I'm not a graphic artist and can't really say I know what I'm looking for.

The parallax issue never bothered me in the least, but I can understand it being an issue for someone who needs the accuracy. But doesn't the input lag of Ntrig kind of balance out the parallax issue of a thicker digitizer? I'd also be curious to see if the digitizer is really that much thicker on the Samsung Wacom tablets, they are incredibly thin.

dstrauss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.