Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

We've bumped into each other on a few of the other discussions about 2-1 devices that have just come out. I've tried literally every one of these new devices -- In order, the SP4 i5, the SP4 M3, the Dell XPS 12, the Spectre X2, the Lenovo Miix, and the SP4 I5, again. And like you, I'm BAAACK. Feeling like I never should have left. The quality of this device overall, plus the comfort of knowing it's a key Microsoft device that they will definitely support, is what ultimately has swayed me.

I'm still in possession of all of these devices so I'm going to have a lot of packages to send out. At least I can just walk the XPS back over to the MS Store by my office.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    dstrauss and spinedoc77 like this.
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only device that may sway me away is the upcoming Samsung windows tablet, but no one really knows what it will have. The more that surfaces though the less inclined I think I will be to switch. It's probably too thin to have a kickstand and that's a deal breaker. But the Wacom EMR is calling to me, and if it has a pen silo then it will be a touch decision. I guess we'll know in a few weeks.

3. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung has a ton of new devices they will announce next week at CES but I don't yet know if that is one of them. It is supposed to have a 4k screen so it had better have a big enough battery or they will have the same problem Dell has with the xps 12.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Only if has kickstand and 3:2 aspect.
    Otherwise it's deal breaker.

Meanwhile my i5 finally been dispatched from Amazon and I'm waiting to be in my hands next week!
    Unfortunately Amazon send me with standard ups shipping and not express as I paid for.

Hope everything is rock solid because I'm sick and tired for returning for third time surface tablet.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

5. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. I have an appointment with Samsung next Friday at their booth. I'll have to check it out. I've been kinda out of the Samsung loop after they messed up the Note line (for me that is) with the 5 and I got rid of the S5 for the Nexus 6P for my wife.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That could be a tough decision, especially if it has a Wacom EMR in a silo - could make an all Samsung solution (with a Note 5) a real tempting draw.

spinedoc77 likes this.
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't forgotten the Samsung 7 Slate screen issues or the wireless problems from their super thin laptop. Samsung = Probably not going to happen (for me).

8. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll see if the Samsung or anything else introduced at CES causes me to reconsider keeping the SP4. Don't really want to wait much longer for a device. I figure that no matter when I decide to go ahead and buy something for good, there's always going to be that next new thing waiting around the corner. Have to dive in and start swimming at some point.

9. spinedoc77

Pleaaasssseee take some pictures/video if they allow it, I'm dying to see what Samsung comes up with.

10. spinedoc77

Completely agree!! Samsung is the only one with rumored Wacom EMR and that's a huge draw for me. I never ever have my stupid surface pen with me so it borders on useless. With Wacom I can just pop out my Note 5 pen and am all set, unless Samsung kicks ass and puts a silo in it. That's one of the reasons I hang onto my Vivotab Note 8 even though it kind of sucks.

I'm still completely confused why no one likes pen silos, it just makes no sense. If you want a full sized pen then you just buy one and put it in your pocket. It won't add any weight or size to the tablet, just look at Samsungs designs and see how svelte yet functional their styli are. From what I understand functionally EMR is quite good even on the larger tablets. Really the only downside is a tiny bit more thickness, but then the styli can be thinner/lighter and not require a battery.

JoeS, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.