Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

not sure..... the core M3 or the i5 its only a 100 difference..... decisions decisions, going to sell my S3.

2. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

m3 weight is a bit less, is there still a fan?

3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man that makes my decision harder. M y personal SP3 was going to my wife, who is still muddling along with a 2011 11" MacBook air (my poor wife). I don't mind spending the money, but if I can get the new keyboard and pen for my SP3 then it doesn;'t seem like I'm getting much by upgrading to the SP4. Slightly bigger screen, same weight, 1mm or so thinner and 1024 pressure levels, doesn't seem worth it at all. Might be better to just grab a non pro surface 4 for my wife at this point and just upgrade my accessories for my SP3.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From the brochure:

"Experience the ultimate modern writing experience with the new Surface Pen. Now with 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity and reduced latency, Surface Pen lets you write, draw or mark documents digitally while still feeling as natural as pen on paper with precision ink on one end and an eraser on the other."

It sounds like they've been working on the N-Trig stylus system rather than letting the status quo ride.

Good.

N-Trig has definitely done some work to close the gap between their early systems and Wacom, but they have also been selling second rate solutions since day one until the present, and after reading through some of their tech support forum responses, apparently engaging in denial rather than acting like grown ups.

But if they do actually get their stylus system properly worked out, addressing the issues brought up by folks, and provide a big enough screen, I may even end up owning one of these things.

Time will tell. I'm (gasp!) growing vaguely interested in this.

bloodycape and Bronsky like this.
  5. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the accelerometer in the new pen is responsible for that.

On previous N-trig models, once you lifted the pen off the screen it immediately enters a power saving mode, which causes hover lag. When it senses pressure it enters the high power mode again, but it takes a split second to wake up which causes that laggy feeling at the beginning of each stroke. Now, the pen will enter high power mode once the accelerometer senses it's being picked up.
    I'm definitely buying the pen to try it on older N-trig devices.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Does anybody think that the MS Stores have the Pro 4's on display yet? How about the Surface Book?

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I doupt it, but they will prob get them soon. For example shipped overnight but wtf do I know lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

JoeS, Mesosphere and soh5 like this.
  9. Allie

Allie Pen Pal - Newbie

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

SHOCKING HEADLINE - DSTRAUSS SITS THIS ONE OUT (mostly)

Now that my blood pressure is back to normal, I've had my near Apple fanboy religious experience, and having looked at all of the options on the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book...

I've pre-ordered the new Type Cover with fingerprint reader and the tethered dock (maybe snag the new pen when it hits the market), and sit this one out for a while.

I know, I know - who was doing the happy dance a few pages ago about the birth of the next Apple? My first blush opinion has not changed a bit. The Surface Book is the best laptop I have seen. However, I already have an i7/512gb SPro 3 (sure, Haswell and not SkyLake, so the fan will keep spinning to my chagrin), which is the configuration I would have done with the Surface Book. As for the Surface Pro 4, just don't see near enough added value over the SPro 3 (although could get i5/512gb for $1899).

So like Bronsky, I'm going to stand pat, upgrade to the nicer keyboard and dock, and watch with envy all of you guys playing with the new toys from Microsoft. Besides, maybe the SPro 5 or Surface Book 2 will have the smart screen technology.

And as always, reserve the right to change my mind and let my tech lust overcome reason and buy the new toy anyway (especially once I see one in the flesh).