Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone else having trouble downloading the Surface App? It keeps saying its unavailable.

2. Mveditor

Mveditor Pen Pal - Newbie

This couldn't be more prophetic. So far my experience has been more than disappointing. This is the first non-apple system I have had in 6 years and I now remember why I switched. It took 4 attempts to reset the unit when I first got it. Today I had my first meeting whilst owning it and it refused to wake up when I pressed the power button(it had only been put to sleep) and my boss had to pass me a macbook in the middle of the meeting which looked really bad in front of the client. It took 2 hours of faffing for the thing to wake up. Browsing through pictures on it is an absolute chore as is scrolling down a pdf page.

I imported some iPhone footage to edit in Premiere and it won't run it at full resolution only half(i5/4/128). My iPhone can play the footage back perfectly, as can my sisters crappy £150 netbook.

As it is I don't know whether to send it to microsoft and get a new unit or scrap the whole thing, I love the idea of being able to just dot down ideas and sketch things as my job demands it(I have hundreds of sketch books) and I really thought this could bring that into the digital age and be a really useful production tool but as it is it's really nice hardware with abysmal software.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just received my second m3 unit from ms store.
    It's newer manufacturing date production 1549 lot number from 1545 my first unit from Amazon.

Even with that newer version it came out of the box with RTM July Windows 10 version.

Well you've got work to do and upgrade to November update and then do all the firmware/Windows update.

So far so good but let's see in practice how perform next days with battery life and that blizzard electrical noise witch I'm not pleased at all with my first unit from Amazon.

Hope it perform much better the newer unit and keep it.

Otherwise as I said before I'm done with m3 version and going to pick up i5 version.

Edit:Well I've been unlucky actually.
    It has more bleeding than the first unit(total unacceptable) plus a dead pixel spot at the center of the screen and little down watching it at dark room.
    :(
    Well both m3 unit are going to be returned and I'm done with this version of SP4 for good.

It's a shame newer manufacturing unit have more quality issue than the old one witch have horrible battery life and that freaking electrical noise.:mad:

I'm going to test my luck with the i5 version.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  4. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW, I've had a SP4 i5 for a few days now, and so far, so good. The keyboard/touchpad has refused to work upon awakening once, and I had a bit of screen flicker out of the box before applying all the updates, but other than that, I'm happy so far. A little light bleed at one spot on the bottom of the display, but the only time it's noticeable is when displaying the Surface logo during boot. I have had zero fan noise (it's only come one once, I think, and that was when syncing lots of Dropbox files) and it's only gotten lukewarm--never hot at all--at least not yet. Battery life seems to be in the 5-6.5 hour range, depending on what I do. Not great, but not bad--about the same as my SP3. I'm putting it in hibernate at shutdown for the time being, and that is eliminating the sleep/battery drain issue.

I should note that I don't play any demanding video games, nor do I do intensive video editing. Mostly Office, OneNote, browsing, streaming video, and light video editing.

Anyway, so far I'm happy with the upgrade and will be selling my i5 SP3 unless things take a sudden turn for the worse in the next few days.

Joseph Lin likes this.
  5. lexptr

lexptr Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally got my i7/16/512. It is terribly stinks, just like S3 was. Have to suffer few days until it will disappear. I think it is mostly from keyboard. Have some screen bleed all around the top and bottom part, with serious one at the bottom. But I noticed it only during boot up, so may be not that bad. I'm afraid it will be noticeable on dark movie or game scenes. I also hear a high frequency noise, though only when i put my ear above the top part, where fan openings are. Not sure if it is the fan or something else. And the fan... when it kicks in, it is great! I mean it is great for airplane simulator games, as it is similar to aircraft turbine, just very small :)
    Otherwise - nice and shiny device :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    dellaster likes this.
  6. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

First impressions of my i5 sp4;

Pen is pretty good - playing around in clip studio i felt i had good control. I don't think my drawing style will encounter jitter. Unfortunately I absolutely have noticed that my super light strokes don't get recognised, but I think I can adapt to that. Pressure sensitivity beyond that seems good.
    On a side note, my surface app doesn't let me assign what my eraser button does.
    ***Is the side-button supposed to be for right-click? Because mine doesn't!

Fans have not come on at all, even when updating, and using clip studio. Impressive.

Speakers initially didn't work. They appear to be after a restart.

7. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

Press it in and tap for right click, or just press and hold the pen (without pressing the button) until the circle draws round the tip then lift off.

8. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone downgraded it to Windows 8.1 ?
    For me, lack of Metro (Modern) IE in Win 10 is absolute deal killer. So is the inferior tablet mode interface in general

9. mertzi

mertzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Received my m3 Monday. It had minor light bleed, totally acceptable, but it also had one stuck or hot pixel (hard to tell) so it's already been sent back. I can't believe dead/stuck/hot pixels still are a thing. I bought my first LCD 2003, it had one stuck pixel which back then was insufficient for a DOA. I guess it's a manufacturing process which is impossible to refine besides increasing ppi. LCD sure is a depressing technology.

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do.
    You Will need to download the latest Surface Pro 4 firmware update for installing manual via device manager most of the drivers.

Also will need to disable ms signature digital for some drivers otherwise it won't be installed even manually from device manager.

For the Intel HD Graphics you will need to download latest drivers from Intel site and do manually install.

And last think you will need to download Latest Surface Pro 3 firmware update for Marvel Wifi/BT drivers.

That's all.

But there's 3 issue(minor for me)

1. The power button is not responsive for putting the device to sleep or to wake up from sleep.
    You can do that(wake up from sleep)by mouse click or press any button on type cover 4.
    And to put the tablet to sleep within Windows by pressing sleep or automatically by Windows if you do whatever time choice for power option control for example 5 minutes or anything else.

2.The both camera is not working by the camera app of Windows 8.1.
    It's not even opening.
    I haven't try any solution to that maybe fixed by newer driver.

3.The volume button also not responsive to adjust the sound.
    You must do that within Windows.

Everything else working fabulous.

Connected standby works fine,pen also brilliant,no battery drain,touchscreen great,absolute stable and smooth experience without any issue(no crashing,no reboot)

Here's the download link you will need.
    The zip file you will download from the below link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...a-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

For installing Intel HD follow this instructions.

1. To install these on a surface pro 4 you need to download and extract the zip file from Intel site

2. Then you need to go to your device manager (windows-x) and expand the "Display Adapters" and right click on "Intel HD 515/520/540 for m3/i5/i7 version and choose "Update Driver Software"

3. Next select "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Next select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

5. Next select "Have disk"

6. Now browse to the extracted zip folder from intel (WIN64_*****)and go into the "Graphics" sub folder

7. Select kit64ib.inf and open it

8. Then select "Ok"

The driver should then install.

After finishing installing make restart and you are ready.

In steps 6-7 the name maybe a little different than describe but you will understand it very easily.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015