Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I just overcame my decision paralysis; I got a Surface Pro 4, i5/8GB/256GB. Sorry if my constant questioning was getting annoying.

I decided that for the money being spent, I wanted more functionality and versatility than what the iPad Pro was offering (although I definitely do still want an iPP+Pencil+Procreate eventually).
    Regarding the Cintiq Companion 2, I reasoned that it was not only more expensive, less portable, and a worse product in every other regard beside drawing, but most importantly I'd read too many reports of CC users having faulty hardware and bad customer service, which was definitely a turnoff especially since I'll be back overseas soon. Plus I imagine if they do a CC3 properly, it could make the CC1&2 look embarrassing by comparison.

The difficulty in finally pulling the trigger came from knowing that the SP4 would not be as good of a raw art tool as a CC2, so I'm just really hoping that it will still be good enough, which I'll be trying to determine over the next two weeks (after my birthday this Sunday).

Ultimately I knew the worst thing I could do was continue not making a decision, which would only delay me actually painting; and I'd delayed that long enough already. I just hope I don't encounter any serious bugs with drivers.

I now own Clip Studio Paint Pro. I think I'll be using the 'B' nibs, and will try to adjust the pressure curve so it recognises the lightest strokes possible. I think I like the idea of assigning the eye-dropper to the Surface Pen side button, then maybe the eraser could be right-click or something, but I'm open to suggestions and any other tips to optimise workflow and performance. I still think it's somewhat slippery for drawing, so if anyone knows a good screen protector for better friction, I'm all ears.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Vlad1214 likes this.
  3. Vlad1214

Vlad1214 Pen Pal - Newbie

Chard85 .. I think your decision has many plus points .. ( Im in somekind very similar situation ..) of course the final decision is yours..
    but for me later year I was about to buy a t902 .. but was an absolute failure..( not because the tablet itself but because it came broken )
    so when I decided to look for CC. 1 or later CC 2 I was very worried about all those hardware faults , wacom always has/had a high standard in quality control ,.. in the other side .. SP3 and SP4 .. for the big cloud of complaining users (correct me if Im wrong. ) complains were only about software issues "mostly" ... of course Im speaking about it very lightly and like from above ..
    making art with SP3 or SP4 is possible ... a guy who work for Blizzard .. he is Ukranian I think .. used SP3 while he was living many months in Thailand.. and worked all that time using only his SP3 .. ( if u are interested .. take a look at "roman guro" on youtube sp3 review. he talks in russian but the illustration he display in the sp3 was made entirely using that Microsoft tablet .. ) noah bradley is another amazing artist who bought Surface Book ..
    (although he was complaining about software updates :p )
    I don`t know what kind of art you will be doing .. but its not a bad tool at all ..
    as about CC .. if wacom is planning to release later CC3 Im pretty sure they will be making it better .. so if Im going to throw or burn high containers of money it better will be in something reeally reliable ..
    buy a sp4 or 3 and the sp4 new stylus and enjoy :D ..

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I still think it's somewhat slippery for drawing, so if anyone knows a good screen protector for better friction, I'm all ears...>>

See the Screen Protector discussion thread in the Accessories forum:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-best-screen-protector.21750/#post-460504

...and additional comments in this thread in the Sony / VAIO forum:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/vaio-z-canvas-user-reviews-and-impressions.67832/page-4

(Start at Post #208 and read backward following the "updates"...)

5. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my Surface Pro 4 yesterday! It is very responsive, and no flaws so far in my opinions. The one I got is a i7/16GB/256GB SSD. I was afraid that 256GB is not going to fit all my files. It turns out there is a new feature allows us to save new files(documents/Image/Video/Music) to a SD card. I have couple 200GB MicroSD cards, used one and now it seems like I have a 456GB version of SP4!

kruzilla likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Vlad1214 The SP3 + new Surface Pen combination is very nice. You'll save some money and can purchase a tablet with a faster processor or more RAM.

7. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

So, finally got Illustrator working properly. Turns out I needed to disable "gpu performance" within the program itself. Just a heads up if anyone runs into the same issue.

And a big shout out to Dayton for trying to help me!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not working on mine yet. Even tried updating the App from the MS Store.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The frustrating is that owners of surface pen 3 not have the customization option MS offer to pen 4.
    It's bad decisions since its most of all software optimization and MS could offer and to surface pen 3 owners that feature.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

From what I read, its only for the SP4/SB pens. Its real nice to be able to let my pen open desktop onenote again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.