Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@cookies4you not sure what you mean. When you press the sleep button, your SP4 doesn't wake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Every time I press the power button, I'm afraid that my m3 SP4 will get a black screen...>>

More to the point, I think the driver has been fixed. Have you installed all the current updates?

If so, are you still having a problem...?

3. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Fully updated.

When my SP4's asleep, two things can happen when I wake it up.

1. It turns on and everything's fine.

2. The keyboard turns on, but I'm trapped with a black screen. The device isn't actually asleep, the display just isn't turning on. The machine making Windows sounds and the fact that connecting a second monitor fixes it confirms that.

4. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

My SP3 has been doing that for the last week or so, two, so I think it's a Windows thing.

5. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Speaking of SSD speed, I would really like the Toshiba drive with doubling writing speed (1000MB/s on 512GB+ drive) for importing and editing my 4k videos. A 64Gb video from my GoPro should save a whole minute using the Toshiba drive (theoretically) versus the half speed Samsung drive. Of course, you need to buy those i7 512GB+ SP4/SB for video editing to begin with.

alextrela182 likes this.
  6. wataru

I believe Windows automatically moves contents from faster RAM to slower HDD (aka. virtual memory) so you actually never run out of memory ... just slower. If Photoshop (and other large Windows programs) is designed to play nice with Windows memory management, it should never run out of memory (theoretically), just as you can open infinite number of tabs in Chrome even with 4Gb ... but the system will slow down as it has to read 'memory' from the hard drive. Unfortunately, not all programs play nice with Virtual memory. Some program simply refuses to run when physical memory is low instead of waiting for Windows to clear up some memory by moving contents in RAM into virtual memory.

A downside for larger physical memory though, is that hibernate and resume from hibernate takes longer. That's because Windows has to dump those extra RAM into pagefile/hibernation file on your disk when hibernate and move them back to RAM when resume from hibernate. If hibernate is only disk speed dependent, a 16GB system will takes 4x time to hibernate/resume than a 4GB system. Now, if only connected standby is working ...

7. wataru

Hi Anubis, I think you need to export your 'disappearing' power plans and re-import them back again to make them permanently stay in power options. There is a tutorial here on how to export the other three plans.

8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Battery life blows, worse than my SP3. Not only in use but in standby. If I leave my sp4 untouched in standby by the end of the day its at 20%. IMO if MS wants to compare this to a MacBook they have to match the battery life.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...When my SP4's asleep, two things can happen when I wake it up...The keyboard turns on, but I'm trapped with a black screen...>>

...I think someone on the forum (jnjroach?) said that Win + P will turn the screen on...?

10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

A SP4, m3 version, will arrive at my door tomorrow. I'm going to see if it'll fit into my workflow and play (seeing a YouTube review with it running Skyrim smoothly tipped the scales positively).

I would have seriously considered the Miix 700 8/256 GB, $999 from Costco but a) it no longer has an ETA and b) Lenovo is dead to me after my Thinkpad Tablet 8 experience. I'm not going to go through another of their semi-vaporware releases.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.