Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As soon as you mentioned Photoshop I'd really head towards 8Gb ram. Can you do it all with 4Gb? Yes... you can... But that 4Gb runs out quite fast.

2. darzog

darzog Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you guys think the performance difference of the 128 ssd vs the 256 ssd is significant?

I purchased (and returned) a Core M3 model. The benchmarks of the 128 gig ssd really bothered me and was one of the major reasons I returned it.

Is there a chance Microsoft will add a new SKU? Core M3, 256 ssd? (Maybe even toss in 8 gig of ram!)

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nicholas - that $300 also doubles your SSD capacity. As excalibur said, Photoshop will have you begging for both headroom (ram) and storage.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...if you are paying premium price...then you should get the best of all parts...>>

How do you know that you didn't? There more to life than just fast write speeds. What about failure rates? What about data retention integrity? What about robust error correction?

The problem with the current dialogue is that it focuses only on a single performance parameter, and... as jyan astutely points out... it's a parameter that may not be that important over the long term. Sure, you may wait several extra seconds for that big data file to write to the SSD, but just how often do you do that. Even if it's once a day, how onerous is that? And is fast writing as important as long-term reliability?

Before you blame Microsoft for not choosing the "best SSD" for their premium product, you should take a moment to consider what "best" really is...

5. Anubis

Anubis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I have a question. On page 96 in this thread wataru posted some cool custom power plans. I downloaded the m3 version (really cool idea) and managed to implement that no problem. I do however have a problem getting the other 3 to stick. I can activate the power plans with the .bat but as soon as I switch to an other power plan it dissapears and I have to manually use the .bat again. the m3 power plan is the only one that stays in the power plan section. is there a way to do that with the others as well?

Best regards,
    Anubis

p.s. my new surface pro 4 has a samsung ssd. I noticed that all german critics reviewd samsung drives as well. could it be that there are no toshiba in germany/europe?

6. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

The i5 8GB option seems like the safe bet. But how did it get so expensive?! I remember the Pro 2 with the same configuration was around AU$1500 after adding the keyboard, compared to the Pro 4 at $2200, which puts it within spitting distance of the Cintiq Companion i5 ($2250).

If we consider the areas of improvement possible for the next Surface Pen to be able to further close the gap on Wacom, are they likely to happen within the pen itself, or beneath the screen? I'm assuming the inevitable Surface Pro 5 pen would be backwards compatible with the 4.

7. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably some import fees? My SP4 i5/256/8GB was pretty much the same price as my SP2 of the same specs.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry to be getting under your skin so much lately Steve - if you notice, I said it was much ado about nothing, and only quoted what others were stating...if you read the Anandtech review of the relative merits of the two drives, you'll see they said the following:

"Microsoft has gone with the Samsung PM951, which is similar to the Samsung SM951 that we’ve reviewed in the past. It is still a PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe drive, but there is one crucial difference between it and the SM951. The PM951 uses Triple-Level Cell (TLC) NAND rather than Multi-Level Cell in the SM951. TLC has some drawbacks, which are lower durability and slower write speeds. I’ll recommend reading our TLC primer to get into the technical reasons for this, but I have some concerns with TLC NAND being used in the Surface Book in particular, mostly because of its position in the marketplace."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9767/microsoft-surface-book-2015-review/3

So yes Steve, we all should consider what "best" really is...

Zeelobby and johnchad14 like this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Sorry to be getting under your skin so much lately...>>

Actually... Neither of these was directed at you. This posting was just my observation about how discussions can get so minutely focused (to the exclusion of all else) on our forums. Others have been more at the root of this than you.

As for the other posting, it was the result of an inappropriate posting that was deleted. However, it was generally appropriate so that we all know that we should maintain a civil, if cranky, tone...

10. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Every time I press the power button, I'm afraid that my m3 SP4 will get a black screen.

Dear Intel & Microsoft, please fix your graphics drivers, thanks.

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.