Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I...want a SP4 i7, 16, 256, but getting cold feet after reading SP4 forum at Microsoft Community...>>

...So contrast that with my experience (i7 / 16 GB / 256 GB). My SP4 seems to work much better than early i5 reports. I've had a couple of display driver crashes (literally, two) and only one "crackle" from the speakers. That's over 8 days of ownership. It has always awakened from sleep and if it has screen bleed, I've never noticed it (again, literally, I don't even know because if it is there it's not noticeable). I'm seeing a bit of battery drain (possibly the microSD card issue?) but it's not at all critical. As I write this, I've been running a battery endurance test and after two days of on and off usage, the battery is at 39%. That might be a bit low, but I assume that Microsoft will get around to fixing it. But in the meantime, it isn't an issue for day-to-day usage. Like you, I'm seldom far from an outlet.

So is my SP4 perfect? No; but so far, it isn't anything like the reports you referenced...

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thanks, I'm going to give it a try. Also thanks for the Win P tip, it works like a charm to defeat that black screen.

3. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

The display driver will crash sometimes, that seems to be happening with all Skylake machines running Windows 10. When it happens, the computer freezes for a moment and you get a "Display Driver has crashed and recovered" message. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. Occasional chirping from the speakers also seems to be related to the display driver. The beta driver from Intel fixes the chirping, but it is a beta and has a few other bugs.

All the other problems you noted are I think unusual. I know I don't have them at all on my i5. I'm particularly happy with the battery life. I'm getting 7:30 with Bluetooth off, 6:30 or so with it on. So much better than my SP1.

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone know if the newer manufacturing date unit for example 1545 or 1546 unit come out of the box with November Windows 10 update(1511/10586) or first RTM version of July?

Also do we know if at MS support site the ISO recovery firmware MS provide is included November update or not?

Sent from my iPad Air 2

5. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been using the Surface Pro 4 (i5 and now the i7) as my work machine to write code in Visual Studio as well as write articles for reviews for the past month. I have the Surface Dock and have it output to two monitors from it. I wouldn't be using this as a work machine if I didn't feel comfortable with it.

The i7 has been a lot less buggy than the i5. I haven't had one display driver crash on it yet since I picked it up a week ago. Light bleed? To be honest, I haven't noticed I guess I should reboot and see but all my work screens have a white background and I'm too busy killing mutants and raiders in Fallout 4 on it to notice (streamed from my other Skylake desktop computer in the basement).

I've had a few times where it was a black screen but hitting Windows+P brought me out of it. No clicking or chirping from the speaker.

6. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

You could buy it from Target and get the MS Complete Care at the same time. That way you could simply go through MS to replace it if it became damaged. Do you have a MS store within reasonable driving range?

7. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, there's one about 20 minutes away. That's the main reason I'm wondering because it's so easy to just take it there if necessary. That's probably what I'll do. I feel like it will be easier if I need something like the pen replaced by going through MS than Target.

If I don't have MS Complete Care, could I still take it the MS store for something like the pen not working correctly as long as it's still under manufacturer's warranty? Or would I have to go through other channels.

8. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can buy the device from Target for the savings, but you can get MS Complete Care on it through MS. You just take your new toy to the MS Store nearest you so they can see it's undamaged, take out Complete Care there, and you're done. Afterward, if you have any issues with anything, just take it to the MS Store for service.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

None.
    The MS Store will address your warranty issues no matter where you got your unit. With the availability of Complete Care for up to 45 days after purchase, you can grab the surface where you find the lowest price. I know a lot of people don't buy the extended warranty but I swear by it.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I would too if I was in the habit of leaving tire tracks across my tablets.

dstrauss, Steve S, epicfoxes and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.