Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

So is the m3 model still buggy with driver problems?

2. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Haven't read anything to indicate its drivers are doing any better. But, it costs less so!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I used to feel that way, but I hate drawing phone and tablet batteries down.

4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, for what it's worth, I'm having random Intel driver issues on both my MSI Laptop and SP3 in signature that have always been rock solid. There's definitely either a Windows or Intel issue that is hitting us all, so not sure how much the actual SP4 is to blame.

I've never before had the display driver crash on either device since owning them for over a year, and now for the past week since a round of windows updates get them daily on both devices.

Personally I have good luck with Mobile Hotspot and leave it on pretty much all the time without much battery drain. My Droid Turbo will easily make it through an entire long day with normal usage plus the hot spot. A few years ago they seemed to take a lot bigger battery hit, but not so much anymore on my two phones. Suppose all mileage varies though.

5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most people weren't blaming the SP4 hardware, which is rock solid. Most people were blaming MS for releasing a device with what must have been known issues. (Even if only software based).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

In case anyone is interested, I added the SP3 docking station (on sale at BB) to my SP4 and it works great. Have connected a 55" OLED and had zero issues on setup. Was hesitant to get the SP4 dock due to bad reviews, and I prefer the form factor of this one.
    As for the SP4, no major issues so far.

Utan-chan likes this.
  7. lexptr

lexptr Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...for those who don't get the November update...>>

...Based on my experience, the November Update (Threshold 2) is back on line. The update was offline over last weekend, but reappeared sometime on Monday or Tuesday. I know because that's when it finally appeared on my Windows Update...

9. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

I really really want a SP4 i7, 16, 256, but getting cold feet after reading SP4 forum at Microsoft Community. Getting idea that it will have screen bleed, won't wake up from sleep, clicking or chirping noise from speakers, display driver crashes, poor battery life. I'm ok with fan noise (doesn't bother me).

I get it that the ones posting problems are probably the minority and the ones with positive experiences are busy doing what they bought the device for and not posting positive experiences.

Would like some assurance that not all SP4's have problems listed above. Screen bleed would make me return it. Not waking from sleep would annoy me, but I could live with it. Chirping from speaker and display driver crashes will hopefully be fixed. I can live with poor battery life (never use more than 3 hours unconnected).

Please inform. Thanks, David

10. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

This may not be the best forum for this question, but I'm not sure there's any that's better suited.

Are there any benefits to buying an SP 4 from Microsoft or Best Buy or Target compared to the others?

I have a 20% off coupon that I can use for an SP 4 at Target. Plus I could get an additional 5% using a Target RedCard. I'm eligible for the education discount at microsoft, but that's only 10%. Is there any reason to forgo the additional 10% savings at Target (and 5% off the discounted price)?

Ignoring the financial aspects, are there any benefits to buying from Microsoft or downsides to buying from Target?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.