Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

This question came up on reddit.com/r/surface in the past couple of days and the consensus seemed to be that the SP4 i7 fan rarely came on during general use, but it did come on during gaming and for some video streaming.

I can't speak first hand though.

Are you saying that you have an sp4 i5 and the fan comes on with normal use? That seems to contradict what I've read. Or do you have an SP3 i5? If ti's the former, I wonder if you have a bum unit.

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Having had both I'd say they are pretty equal, but as Steve said it's very tough to quantify. My ears area also very insensitive to the fans, they just don't bother me and I accept them as a tradeoff of having such an insane amount of power in such a small package. I will say the SP4 i7 and i5 both kick off the fan less than my old i5 SP3, which is now my main work PC. Keep in mind that it's possible the 4's have more fan than the 3's because the 3's at least throttled down, although from what I gather the 4's throttle down the power instead of the GPU.

I'm also not getting a lot of fan with Edge as some others are, in fact I don't think I ever get fans in Edge unless I'm streaming video, with the exception of certain advertising which I assume is Flash based. One example is Engadget comments page, that slows down my SP and kicks the fans off.

3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thanks, yea I don't normally have the fan fire up on the i5 SP4 during normal load... the only odd issue is on edge when pugged in sometimes it fires up and sometimes its not (weird since last week it never came on) but unplugged it never comes on during normal work stuff. But thanks for the information... I am fine with the same fan as the i5 I just don't want it to be worse then my current i5 SP4 model.

4. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

One month ago I ordered the SP4 i5 with a 10% discount (994 Euros in Spain) but now (I don't have it yet) I'm thinking of cancelling the order and buying the SP4 m3 for almost the same price (999 Euros, unfortunately that offer is no longer available), because battery life is important to me. The fact is that, according to notebookcheck.net reviews, m3's battery life is better than i5's, but in winbeta.org I've read that there is no improvement in battery life for the m3. So now I don't know which would be the right decision for me. Does someone have further information about this issue?

I'm currently owning a Dell Lattitude 10 and basically only need my tablet to sketch in Manga Studio, to read PDF documents in Annotator, to browse the net in FireFox, and read some newspapers on line. So I'm not very demanding in terms of CPU/GPU, and this is the reason why I think the m3 is enough for me.

5. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the only way is to throttle the power manually in Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility. I would throttle the whole chip (CPU+iGPU) to a total of 7W instead of the designed 15W TDP to achieve fanless operation, but unfortunately, the throttled Core i processor will run more slowly than Core m3 at the same power.

I returned my SP4 a few weeks back ... eyeing for the i7 1TB model. Too bad MS seems quite comfortable with their current production capabilities and the large sum of money they have so far gained by cheating their loyal fans that they are fine with the 1TB model being delayed to near February. In the meanwhile I would continue to amuse myself to see how much longer for the 1TB model to tear off its 'preorder' label before becoming a vaporware ... being not in a hurry for a new computer any time soon. Maybe then MS will have fixed all issues (battery drain, fan noise, display driver crash, wake up issue, power throttle, Windows 10) or issue a SP4 1.1.

I am just tired of being beta testers for MS software and hardware.

alextrela182 likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So, between you and @spinedoc77, there is no appreciable difference between SP3 and SP4 heat and fan noise-wise, so as a non-gamer I should ignore the urge to upgrade to a SP4/1TB...the SP3 with new Type Cover, even running Chrome, is not much of a step down from the SP4.

Wrong on all counts - a transplanted Coloradoan in Texas would never waste 8 bullets, and wouldn't go off half-cocked or double caffeinated...my anger/frustration/annoyance and plain disgust with the lack of attention to detail in releasing what should be two banner flagship devices to be proud - instead they are bug infested, hardware challenged, and one, the Surface Book, is basically unreliable. Even the biggest cheerleader for Microsoft, Paul Thurrott, told his British audience at a recent conference he recommended AGAINST buying one because they are so unstable, and each "update" fixes one thing and breaks another.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

The m3 will have better battery life when idle and/or standby, i.e. less battery drain when unplugged. The actual usage time is likely the same for m3 vs. i5. So basically, if you actually use the device for 4 hours a day and keep the device at standby or idle on other times, the m3 will last much longer than i5 because of the lower battery drain during standby or idle. The 13hrs battery in idle is likely true for m3 given its low wattage usage. I don't have a m3 to comment but that's the impression I got from NotebookCheck's review.

But if you run the device in a continuous mode, the m3 won't last longer than i5.

8. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been wondering if the cooling on the SP4, which runs under the battery, is less efficient when plugged in and charging (which could warm the battery up by a few degrees). In "normal" use (web browsing, streaming video, office apps), my i5 is always cool to the touch and the fan never comes on. But I never use it plugged in. Those of you whose fan comes on during normal use, does it make a difference whether it is plugged in or not?

9. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much, wataru, for your quick response.

Because the conclusion on the NotebookCheck review is "Our assumptions were correct: If you want a Surface with good battery runtimes, you have to get the m3 model", and at the Wifi test, comparing to the i5, the m3 lasted an additional hour, I thought it would be better to buy the m3 model.

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since m3 version in not too far in performance criteria over i5(actually is too closely) it's more balanced version having better battery life overall,less temperature,completely fanless,lighter.

The all package m3 offer is better proposal.

Me too thinking m3 version but later closely to Christmas as a gift to myself:p

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.