Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, no Edge/video driver crashes here either on an i7, not sure what the differentiating factor is. My old i5 crashed incessantly in Edge. I'm still getting the episodes where the camera goes on, but it refuses to wake up just showing a black screen and requires a reboot. Seems like a hello windows issue.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. spinedoc77

Anyone try these out? I'm curious if they improve game performance, but hesitant to update now that things are running smoothly.

3. mertzi

mertzi Pen Pal - Newbie

that last thing is good to know, I'd like to be able to charge it while I'm studying and a fan noise would make me rage. On a bad day I sometimes have to even turn my fridge off (I study in my kitchen) when the compressor is too unbearable.

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They even work on the plane.

5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

so know when I used Edge and plugged in my fan kicks on... doesn't even have to be watching video. if I use IE it doesn't happen. I know I am getting the i7 next week but its annoying....

I only have the balanced power plan, nothing like high performance etc.

6. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't had a display driver crash since installing both the 11/18 firmware update and the beta drivers from Intel (this is on an i5). Cautiously optimistic...

Edit: all right, optimism didn't last long. It is a beta, after all. I've noticed that instead of crashing and recovering, it crashes completely and I have to do a hard shutdown and reboot. It's also slightly sluggish and seems to get worse battery life. Have rolled back the driver to the standard (10/27) version. One thing the beta display driver did fix was the occasional popping noise, which is now back since rolling back the driver.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've installed them, a little tricky to get them installed. They've fixed the DD crashes but does cause "Black Screen" occasionally coming out of S0iX or S4...sorry not a gamer.

spinedoc77 likes this.
  8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

gee not sure what I want less of DD or black screen coming out of S4 etc lol. here is to hoping the one that MS gets doesn't have those issues (guess that's why they are called beta)

9. spinedoc77

Interestingly enough I've got the opposite issue. I have the TH2 drivers and I don't get any graphics driver crashes, but am getting the black screen out of sleep a LOT. ARRGHHH I'm so frustrated by how often that black screen is happening. I'd definitely trade back for the graphics crash as that didn't require a reboot. Anyone else getting the black screen? Most of the time when I get it the red IR light on the camera will stay on as well.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

FOLKS - THIS IS JUST INSANE! With so many of the faithful here being plagued like this, no one can tell me the great unwashed are doing fine, that these are just random bad apples.

Apple - did someone say Apple?

spinedoc77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.