Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Take a look the review below.
    Its using the m3 version.

I think the m3 version will completely satisfied for your need.
    http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/20...ce-pro-4-is-the-only-ipad-pro-youll-ever-need

As for the SD card for massive propose used is perfect for music, video any other files but not installing exe programs.
    You should prefer like Samsung Pro with high level of performance in read/write this one.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage-accessories/MB-MG64DA/AM

I'm using it and I'm very happy from the performance overall.

2. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm... I took a careful look and I'm seeing the same thing. Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough.

Look at the table under the "Storage Devices" section that compares AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark 3.0 scores for the SP4 i5, SP4 M3, SP3, Dell XPS 13, and SB. Look especially at the read speed differences between the SP4 i5 and m3. In AS SSD, the m3 has 79% better 4k read speed than the i5, and in CrystalDiskMark 3.0, it's 6% better. They have the same Samsung MZFLV128 SSD. I might expect the m3 to have slightly worse SSD benchmarks because the processor was slowing it down, but in fact their m3 scores are in some cases much better than the i5. What could be going on here?

Also, look at their statements under the "Temperature" section: "The warming of the tablet is always clearly perceptible," and "We were able to measure up to 40 °C (~104 °C) at some spots while idling without the fan." Haven't seen these results on any other review, and they are way off my own experience with the i5.

Then there's the "Battery Runtime" section, which shows the SP3 getting 108% better idle/reading runtime than the SP4 i5. They don't say which SP3, so it could be the i3, but that's still very strange.

I could go on with other examples, but looking at it all again, it seems their SP4 i5 runs very hot at idle with very short battery runtimes. They might have had a bum unit, which isn't their fault, they have to test what they get.

3. alextrela182

AS SSD and Crystal disk mark always have different result when measures identical unit like m3/i5 SSD.
    You will see the same in other review from notebookcheck or anandtech either.

As for the differences in battery life or temperature maybe, maybe having defective unit but we will never know that for sure.

Here's you can look different comparison and again m3 has better battery life over i5
    Surface Pro 4 i5 Vs Surface Pro 4 M3 Comparison

And without any kind of comparison we know that Core M CPU is more battery efficient than U Skylake CPU and its absolute normal m3 having better battery life and less temperature developing in majority of daily activities.

Take a look and this one video.
    Almost 3 hours of non stop benchmark test and gaming and loses only 30% of the battery.
    I'm sure with i5 it will be much more consumption doing the same activities(continuous gaming+benchmark test)
    Surface Pro 4 M3 6Y30 Gaming, Benchmarks, Temps and Throttling

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  4. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

That reviewer mentions that the fan on the i5 model barely ever came on during his usage. There seems to be conflicting feedback from various i5 users in this regard

5. alextrela182

Its impossible having the same result as m3 version.
    In most situation i5 will blow up fan but never do that on m3.

That's the logical say.

Yes it's a bit conflicting but maybe as he mention at the review meaning compared to the l5 SP3 fan noise witch was not happy as mention.
    Here you can hear very clearly the fan noise on i5 it blown up.
    Surface Pro 4 i5 Fan Noise - A Deal Breaker?

6. Nicolas Madera

Nicolas Madera Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to get the i5 version with 4gb ram and 128 gb ssd, but I don't know if i should get the 4gb ram or the 8gb ram version.
    I would be using it to do internet browsing, light Photoshop and drawing and playing Minecraft.
    With the 4gb RAM being $999 vs. 8gb RAM being $1299 it's a big price difference.

Feedback would be great, thanks!

7. jangaru

jangaru Pen Pal - Newbie

Went to a MS store in Palo Alto yesterday. Was hoping I could get a loaner to compare to my Lot 1541 SP4/i5/256GB/8GB model. Told they could not do that. Mine is fine besides the occasional graphics card driver crash/ slight contrast changing which switching between light color and dark colors on 10240 (can't get updated to 10568 anymore). For the most part, mine seems more reliable after erasing, reinstalling clean W10, then reinstalling from Surface Recovery image.

The tech who helped told me the goal is to release a new graphics card driver by the end of the month. Hopefully that will bring the end of the graphic card crashes.

8. Nicolas Madera

GREAT, good to hear that by the time i get mine the problem will be fixed.

9. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the same boat. I think the m3 would be a fine CPU for me, but I'd prefer 8GB of RAM. I really wish they offered the m3 with 8GB. I'd have bought it already.

10. Nicolas Madera

Just get the i5 with the 8gb RAM, the faster processor wouldn't hurt, plus the fans would rarely kick in. The fan will only turn on if you stress it too much, like gaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.