Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think you would take a step backwards. You should probably gain about 1 hour (Give or take 20 minutes) of comparable workload. The lack of a fan is nice when going from i5 to m3. This is what I have come to think from reading through and really milling m3-i5-i7 options. Not an m3/i5 owner though, so if I am wrong then I am sure someone will quickly fix me.

2. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got my i7/8GB/256GB Surface Pro 4 and updated to the latest firmware. I installed Firefox and now it's not giving me the display driver crashes that my i5/8GB/256GB configuration was giving me. Very happy about that. I have the Samsung SDD and I'm not one that cares about the Toshiba. Time to install all my development tools.

GatsbyGlen likes this.
  3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fallout 4 seems to run well:

I will probably buy it soon.

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've moved from the i3 SP3 to the Core M sp4 and, honestly, I cannot really tell the difference in battery life other than sitting there and playing a long video. It's lighter, the screen seems to be a tad more sensitive which is an improvement and it's fast. Compared to the i5? I'm not that sure if you'd notice the difference based on what you've written above.

I'd go for it.

P.s. I'm actually changing it for the i7, 16Gb version.

5. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the post. I'm not really familiar with notebookcheck, but what a bizarre review. They have the Core M3 with significantly better black levels and contrast, and better SSD performance too, though it's the same display and the same Samsung 128G SSD with the same NVMe controller. Also, while the i5/dGPU SB has much higher CrystalMark scores, it gets lower framerate scores in the games they tested. It could be they accidentally swapped the SB and Dell XPS13 scores, but that's just a guess.

Also, their take on temperature:
    Really? 40°C surface temperature at idle? This doesn't match any other review. I know my SP4, which is the same i5/4/128, never gets warm at all unless you push it with gaming or something. Just browsing the web and watching videos, there is no perceptible warmth anywhere on the tablet. Maybe there's translation errors from the German, and they didn't mean to say "idle"?

6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Has anyone updated their drivers for the Samsung SSD and noted improvement? There was a review which said that with the m3 if you updated the driver it improved performance quite a bit, not sure if that applies to the i7. Is was in the M3 review: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3-Tablet-Review.153843.0.html

Anyway here is the link to the driver. I install it, but in device manager the SSD still shows the old MS driver from 2006.
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  7. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a fun game, really enjoying it on my laptop. I'd be curious if it ran better on the i7 for sure.... that video was good, but would want a bit better performance to truly enjoy, maybe the i7 would deliver that. Also would wonder if playing for an hour would be possible without throttling.

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's some key from the review.
    System Performance

We use the benchmarks PCMark 7/8 for the evaluation of the application performance. The PCM8 Work score is 14 % higher and the Home score 12 % higher compared to the m3 model of the Surface Pro 4. This is surprising when you consider that the raw processor performance differs by around 30 %. The situation is pretty similar in PCMark 7, where the Core m3 falls behind by 18 % (overall score).

GPU Performance

The graphics card Intel HD Graphics 520 (core clock review unit: 300 – 1,000 MHz) is a bit faster than the HD Graphics 515 counterpart in the Surface Pro 4 m3 (core clock review unit: 300 – 850 MHz). Intel's Quick Sync technology can accelerate video rendering when the tool supports it. The manufacturer can influence the maximum turbo clock, so we observed it in the Cinebench R15 OpenGL test. The clock reaches up to 1,000 MHz, but there are only small fluctuations and it levels off at 948 MHz.

The table shows GPU differences of around 16 percent, which is not really a reason to get the Core i5 model.

System Noise

The system noise is pretty restrained, which only gets really loud under sustained load and obviously during the stress test. It is pretty audible in this case at up to 41 dB(A), which is pretty high for a tablet. The fan of the Surface Pro 4 is not active (31.5 dB(A)) during normal operation with the web browser, occasional copy transfers or small installations. This is probably the reason why the 12-inch device is pretty warm while idling, even when the room temperature is not very high like in our review.

The cooling solution does not really know different rpm levels; if the fan starts to spin, it will quickly reach 41 dB(A), it does not matter if we run our stress test for the CPU and GPU simultaneously or a 3DMark. This behavior differs from the Surface Pro 3, which also had a very quiet level at 32 dB(A) under normal load, while it only started to spin up to 44 dB(A) under high sustained load or during the stress test.

Temperature.

The warming of the tablet is always clearly perceptible, which is a result of the mostly passive cooling with the conveniently silent operation. We were able to measure up to 40 °C at some spots during idle without the fan. The average value is in the mid 30s, which is just okay.

It gets really warm under extreme load; up to 52 °C at some spots can be uncomfortable on the lap or in the hands. The SoC is very far away from its reference clock at just 1.4 GHz in this case, so there is strong throttling and that starts right away. However, this stress test is designed to find the thermal limits of PCs, and the tablet manages to keep the chip a steady temperature of 54 °C. It also reached up to 64 °C at one time and obviously surpassed certain limits, which caused the throttling. We already mentioned above that the chip can maintain 2.9 GHz when you only stress the processor. Throttling is therefore not a normal scenario, but a thermal protection mechanism. This is also the reason for the similar benchmark scores after the stress test and with a cold machine.

Take o look more careful.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The performance of the ssd is 99% identical.
    No actually differences.
    They are both using the same Samsung drive.

Only the 256 drive is huge different from the 128 drive.

M3 has the advantage

Battery life
    Free of fan noise
    Lower temperatures.
    Very good performance for Core M CPU 4.5W TDP.

i5 the only one little advantage is in terms of CPU-GPU but not completely justify to prefer i5 over m3 overall.

As for the screen me too surprised but any kind of unit its not having 100% identical result in terms either brightness, either contrast or black or white balance level to second unit even it is the same product or version.

These things happens all over device in the market from many manufacturer.

Maybe one unit using new revision of the panel and the second one old one.

As you can see manufacturer using difference parts in under the hood components like we see in 256 model, some using Samsung some other Toshiba.

Apple do the same thing in iPhone or iPad panel from Samsung or LG or Sharp or different CPU SOC 14 or 16nm manufacture or Samsung with S6/edge using in some unit Samsung sensor camera and other unit Sony.

We will never find identical 100% even watching it live in store two unit both together.

Its very common to OEM these things.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  10. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

the more I hear about the m3 the more I'm tempted by it, particularly if it handles manga studio just as well as the i5 (not planning to run modern games on it, maybe some older ones). Just slightly concerned about storage and ram. Are SD cards still considered unreliable for the purpose of expanding storage capcity?
    I'm still open to the i5 if the fans rarely actually come on outside of gaming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.