Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You suck ☺

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OK I'm on my i7/512gb, woohoo. It's doing it's usual mating ritual/call of full blast fans, which I expect for the next 2 days based on my experience with the i5. I finally got a bright blue cover also.

So I got the Samsung hard drive. I opened it in the MS store and checked, the first one was Samsung. I asked for an exchange, but I didn't want to be a jerk and exchange a 2nd one so I just took it home. It's also a Samsung drive, sigh. I'll have to read up and see if the Samsung drive is truly an issue or not, so far it seems to be working just fine.

I'm going to load up some beefy games and see what this puppy can do.

metalsiren likes this.
  3. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been developing on the i5 with a Samsung drive for the past 3 weeks. The things fast as hell. Real world wise I don't think I'll ever notice. I know folks want the top of the line and I understand that. But even if I had a Toshiba drive, I don't think. I would see a difference in my use case with the surface pro4.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

dstrauss and connman like this.
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Out of the box without making any changes should have been rock solid.
    My both i5 SP3 + S3 I'm having now when perform shutdown as we do with common Windows PC not having battery drain at all.

That's the normal behavior from the beginning and not doing any kind of tweaks either registry either power management tool on Windows.

These is ridiculous offering that kind of experience of MS with the Pro 4.

I don't know if it is poor quality control over some unit or drivers issue but they should resolve all that issue.

It's totally unacceptable.

And plus to other issue mention the worst is the story with the SSD policy.

Unforgivable.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

5. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone notice MS Edge is performing slightly better these days. It's still not at the same level as Chrome but usability has improved from its early days

6. GatsbyGlen

GatsbyGlen Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an FYI. My device is not chewing up battery while in hibernate, so I guess that's a good thing :) I had it in hibernate during the day (about 8 hours) and the battery report didn't show any change.

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did I already mention you suck :)

MetalSiren

Steve S and spinedoc77 like this.
  8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Weird stuff, but I've been using Edge non stop and I haven't had a single graphic driver crash, although I know I jinxed myself now. I'm updated to TH2 and have the 11/18 firmware update. Don't know if it's because of the i7 or maybe I'm just lucky. My prior i5 with all updates still had the graphics driver crash at least every 15 minutes or so.

9. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Disabling Fast-Start "seemed" to eliminate battery drain when the Surface was off. Battery charged up to 100% last night at 9:00pm and powered down. Just turned it on and it's still at 100%. So that's a good sign.

Just set it now to hibernate and will check in a couple hours to see if battery drains at all. (And very curious to see if it does given GatsbyGlen's message that his does not.

But, probably swapping it out nevertheless (as Alextrela right that this stuff shouldn't have problems out of the box). I'm wasting way too much time measuring battery life on a brand new product.

10. GatsbyGlen

GatsbyGlen Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel your pain ... the 1500 mW per hour drain during sleep is killing me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.