Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

that doesn't seem right to me... and yes even connected standby is still not working right yet (at least in my opinion)...

2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Well it does not expand for me on build 10586.3.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not it's not normal behavior.
    Few months ego I pick up from Amazon.de Thinkpad 8 tablet and had battery drain issue while I have shutdown the tablet.
    I leave it one week without using it at all and then I just press the power button and nothing.
    Eventually connect to the charger wait few minutes and boot up.

When I checked the battery indicator was 5%.

Never never happens to many other Windows tablet pick up last 3 years.

I returned it back to Amazon my unit and sent me brand new unit and until now is rock solid.

One more example I left my Surface 3 a month without using it even for few seconds full charge and few more days later I turn it on and it was 100% the battery.
    Not even 1% all that time.

If I was you I will consider to do the same.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

4. alextrela182

Take a look at these comparison between SP3 i5 vs SP4 m3 vs SP3 i3 vs Surface 3.
    It would help many people want to decide witch one model is better for their need.

As I can judge between SP3 i3 and SP4 m3 the second one is much more balance choice and very very closed to SP3 i5 as an entry level version of SP4 compared the huge differences between i3 vs i5 SP3.

The only i5 SP4 version is much better choice is the 8/256 witch have 2-3 times better performance not only in ram but at speed SSD performance.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/sp-4-core-m3-vs-sp3-core-i5.17672/page-4

PassMark highlights a few things.
    Red = SP3 i5 *(selected from their database in roughly the 85-90th percentile ranking)
    Blue = SP3 i3 *
    Yellow = S3 Atom *
    Green = SP4 core m (one run on my SP4)
    PassMark Rating: Overall score SP3 i5 edges out the SP4 core m by 9.2% that's not much really.
    CPU score SP3 i5 by 23% you could notice that at times.
    2D Graphics, SP3 i5 by 50% sounds significant but may be less important than the others. (Intel is focused on 3D graphics).
    3D Graphics Here is where the core m out performs the SP3 i5 - down -32%.
    Memory is pretty close with 8% difference (not likely noticeable on most things.)
    Disk the SP4 comes out ahead.

The SP3 i3 is beaten handily by SP4 core m and the Surface 3 which is hobbled by slow disk is far behind.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Steve S, Marty and JoeS like this.
  5. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm also showing 10586.3. Have you tried moving the TIP all the way to the left? It seems like it won't expand if there is no room to the right for it expand. Also, it won't expand to a second line, if that's what you're looking for.

6. Magic8Ball

Magic8Ball Pen Pal - Newbie

Arrragghh! Just caved a bought a SP4 i5/8/256.

Anyone know of a bumper style case I can use? I don't want to cover the back for thermal reasons but covering the corners should actually give quite a bit of protection, otherwise it'll be completely naked.

7. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for your response.

I did further research and found experiences (non-Surface Pro) that poeple has with this same problem and Windows 10. Turns out Intel's Active Management driver (version 11) may be the culprit. Had to uncheck the ability of the driver to turn itself on and off for power saving purposes and overnight, no battery discharge. (Maybe the driver didn't allow the PC to complete shutdown?).

Anyway, will test more. Your advice regarding returning is probably the more sensible approach and I may still return the unit but it has the rare Toshiba SSD (seemingly not available on new lots beyond 1542) and minimal backlight bleed. Kind of want to keep it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I call it the "BMW" effect (equally applicable to Mercedes), where one step down in class, to Lexus/Lincoln is equally as good, but it doesn't stroke the peacock feathers as well as that BMW keyfob does that you dropped on the table with you iPhone 6s Plus - style points man - style points...

alextrela182 likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

so how did you change that if I may ask? just curious for us that might run into the issue have a workaround possibly.

10. alextrela182

Yes having the Toshiba drive is very positive indeed!!
    Keep watching it do all the firmware/Windows update maybe you could disable Cortona or Hello also that may cause the issue also and if not happen again keep your current unit as you have the desire SSD drive for many of us want that drive over crappy Samsung:p

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.