Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. digitallysane

digitallysane Pen Pal - Newbie

Compositing software like Fusion or AfterEffects will take advantage of RAM for caching and RAM previews.
    No idea how Premiere is using vast quantities of RAM.
    I'm thinking of the SP4 myself, still debating if it should be strictly a producer tool (office stuff) or also a production tool for comp and CG. If it would be the latter, I'll go for 16 gig.
    If that pen would be actually usable...

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Edge is unusable. IE11 is solid on my S3. I used edge one day and the video driver reset multiple times. Went immediately back ti IE11 and haven't had an issue except when the dock resets my scaling to 100%.

3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So here's a question that may have been answered but I'm def curious. How's the performance of an i5 SP3 compared to an m3 SP4?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A reader sent me a 6.6 x 10.19 inch, 400 dpi Clip Studio Paint file with 20 layers. Here's a quick video of me scribbling on top of it with the m3 SP4. There's a Chrome browser open in the background with two tabs. In total 3 GB of RAM are being consumed. I'm really surprised how fluidly the tablet performs all the canvas zooms and rotations.

Azzart likes this.
  5. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure this IS the final release. I updated normally through windows update, not through any insider program.

6. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm, looks like someone did reply to you earlier. But as to your question, yes, you should be able to use the pen like any other mouse or tablet application.

As for the rest of your questions and ideas about using the SP4, I'd hate to be the one to drive someone from an SP4, but the tasks you list sound like you'd need something with more ports and a beefier CPU. Since the SP4 is throttled down on the i5 and i7 versions, I don't think it'd be as conducive to rendering out 4K video as a main encoder. I know my i5 can handle over 20 layers in Manga Studio, but if you have a lot of layers in your video editing, I'd fear it may chug. Maybe the Surface Book would be better for your needs?

7. CoolManny

CoolManny Pen Pal - Newbie

I traded my SP3 Core I5, 128 for SP4 Core I5 at the Microsoft Store in San Francisco last Saturday and I have been using it all week. It took a couple of days and a number of tries but I was able to install the Nov Win 10 update. Here are a couple of brief impressions I have so far:

1. I hated the fan noise and heat on the SP3. I heard the fan 3 times so far on the SP4... It's a computer; there's gonna be heat.
    2. It might be all in my head but the SP4 seems easier to handle and feels better in my hands when I hold it.
    3. I am in love with Windows Hello. (Will you marr... wait... just a joke of course... I'm already married and you're a computer).
    4. New keyboard and pen are a huge leap forward.
    5. I wish I could swipe back and forward on webpages in tablet mode with Edge. Reaching for the arrow is a huge leap back.
    6. Intel...Get yo drivers together, Man. Display driver crashes are a bummer, Man and they're bringing me down.

The SP4 is not a perfect machine but it's pretty cool and I am "Thunderstruck" (Thanks Panos and the Gang for getting Funky with your Redmond Swinging.)

8. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

If I were you I would opt to try the dell xps 12 if you are thinking of core m..if you play your cards right with then you can get the m5/8/256/4k version for $1079 with a kb that is supposedly even better than what they use of the xps 13 and xps 15 (we'll see). That vs. m3/4/128/qhd with no kb at all for 899.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Looks definitely better than the sp3 i3, more akin to the performance of the i5. :)