Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are times I'm ready to toss this piece of crap out the window. The fall update seems to have helped the graphics driver, now instead of crashing almost constantly it only crashes several times per day, progress I suppose. The issue where it doesn't wake up, but the red camera light stays on seems to have worsened, which is worse because it requires a reboot.

Edge does seem a tad bit more stable, but otherwise I don't really notice much difference.

2. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Well I just got my SP4 M3 (for home) yesterday and right off the bat I initiated updates and got the L.B.S.O.D. (Light Blue Screen of Death) when it was trying to apply the big update. Not the way I really wanted to start. :) The second try was successful. I am really amazed at the performance of this thing.

I'm a fan... (actually I'm fanless!)

Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

May that be the last BSOD you get on your SP4. I really love my fanless SP4 too!

Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  4. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

For those of you with the m3 model, do you have any concerns about longevity/future proofing?

If the SP4 were going to be your main device for the next few years, would you still opt for the m3 with 4GB, or would you consider going up to the i5 with 4 or 8GB?

How warm does it get? I know it should put out less heat in general... but there's also no fan. So I'm wondering if that without a fan still gets as hot or comparable to the i5 with a fan.

Thanks.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't recall my M3 ever being warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny, even my X7 Atom can heat up under the right circumstances.

[​IMG]

7. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Cube i7 def gets hot, maybe even too hot to hold, hehe. The SP4 has a much better heat sink and more space

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. mertzi

mertzi Pen Pal - Newbie

couldn't agree more, I'm just lurking as a potential SP4 buyer and all the apple talk is kind of tiresome when reading up. You know there's an Apple sub forum here on TPCR.

9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a i5 now, but on the Core M3 when I was using it yes it did get warm when doing xbox one streaming. same as my S3 did. they will get warm when pushed to the max... but otherwise stay room temperature.

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I just popped into my local MS store to pre order an i7, they were completely clueless when they would be in store, even the manager had no idea. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Anyone know what's up with the Bright Blue type covers? They didn't have a single Bright Blue cover on display, and the manager said they had to pull them and send them back to Microsoft. They are out of stock in the MS store and even Best Buy and you can't even back order them. They had them in stock on release day and I'm kicking myself for not getting one. It's a mystery.