Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah. I had the i7 and it def felt like it was plugged in all the time. I still have issues with Windows sleep though. My iPad I can leave for days asleep, turn on, and its good to go. Windows devices still seem to have a half-life as far as battery drain goes. Maybe the fix is incoming though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

You mentioning InstantGo/Connected Standby reminded me that there is a new version of that technlogy that, if I remember right, is in Skylake. Something about it allowing you to not recharge for almost a week at a time, but I do not remember the exact details. I am Google searching now to see if I can find the specific article I remember reading about it.

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

"Take, for example, the new Disconnected Modern Standby (DMS) power state, which builds on the Connected Modern Standby state introduced in Windows 8.1. Without a Wi-Fi connection, and with even less frequent software execution, it can reportedly preserve power for even longer—more than a week, in some cases."
    http://www.computershopper.com/feature/intel-s-skylake-processors-10-things-you-need-to-know

I wonder if Modern Disconnected Standby requires an update to do its thing?

Zeelobby likes this.
  4. Zeelobby

That would be awesome if possible. This is exactly what I've been wanting. Based on reports of battery drain on SP4 they're still ironing it out, but I hope it reaches that point.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Isn't that what you get when you pop the clipboard off the Surface Book?:cool:

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

From AnandTech's iPad Pro review:
    It could take a couple years before it's really useful for work, but the hardware looks promising. Still, the Samsung Note tabs never really got there, and they've been out a few years now.

7. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems like the most detailed SP4 reviews are looking at the base m3 model, so we have all these videos looking at lag etc but I'm not sure if that matters for the model I'm considering.
    Can anyone comment on how the 8GB i5 model SP4 performs with regard to pen lag in photoshop for example?

8. Zeelobby

Samsung tablets are a whole other issue though. I know my company was hesitant because of Knox, and the amount of bloat their tablets came with. Inconsistent experience do to ever-changing skins was another issue as far as training went. We also have a working relationship with an Apple rep, since we've had their phones and tablets available pretty much since the iPad 2. I'm not sure Samsung even has corporate reps. At least I've never seen one. But that could be because our PCs are purchased through Dell.

It's too bad Dell is finally moving to Wacome AES, as I'm sure people would have used it. But now that Pencil has arrived I'm sure they'll be in most meetings.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Bronsky likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea all the i7 at BB are showing Dec 4th and EVEN the MS store ones are showing Dec 4th now so I wonder if all the i7 units will slip to that time.... when did you get it? if you purchased it 11/1 or later your in the HOLIDAY return policy and you have until Jan 15 to return to exchange it. You could also return the one that you have now and just get it again. that way it refreshes the return policy (and you can even talk to a manager about that one)... I am an Elite Plus member (at least for the end of this year) and I get 45 days for the return so for Dec 4th I am still ok right now. but I will see on Nov 23 if they got any in stock.

BTW the return and rebutting the same one I have done that before. its also better to that since you won't have to reconfigure your device and BB doesn't have to take back another unit if you did a return for another new that that you were going to return for example.

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep definitely I would exchange my current air 2 with the iPad pro on the breakfast coffee:p
    But too expensive here in Europe 899 euro the minimum price is ridicules very high price.
    What was Apple thinking and that prices without Ipencil .

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.