Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's really no reason to run Manga Studio in Wintab mode on the Surface Pro 3 or 4. MS5 and Clip Studio are fully RealTimeStylus aware and run better with TabletPC selected instead.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the line seemed to "break up" every now and then. I'd be drawing and suddenly get a break in the line despite not feeling like I changed the pressure I was applying...>>

...I'll see this every now and again, but upon reflection, I realize that I let up on the pen pressure. It's hard to explain, but sometimes I'll try to move the pen in a way that my hand doesn't want to move and as a result the pressure isn't consistent. It seems to happen when I'm making quick movements...

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S it's possible that the pressure curve setting is set too hard for you.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it's possible that the pressure curve setting is set too hard for you...>>

...Interesting thought; I'll take another look at that. I do have the pressure curve adjusted more toward the "firm" direction...

5. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I meant the eraser as a button implemented through Bluetooth (with single-click, double-click, and long press mapped to different commands), which I imagine doesn't work on the Z Canvas. It's good to know the eraser works as an eraser, though.

6. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Yikes. I'm surprised it even worked :D.

Even at the MS store half of them don't work. Just too many people mucking them up.

Question: I don't have my SP3 to compare, but did they improve the magnetic connector to the slate? I always sort of hated the one on the SP3. It wasn't the easiest to connect. Something about the shape and magnet arrangement. But this one seems really easy. Can't be sure.

7. Mveditor

Mveditor Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks,

Im a video director and editor and im looking to upgrade from my current system(Mac mini late 2011,i7,16gb ram,128gb SSD and 1TB 7200rpm storage drive,2x acer 24 inch monitors).

Ive had Macs now for 15 years but the surface pros have caught my eye. I like the idea of being able to sell my setup(and nexus 7) and get either the i7/16/512 or i7/8/512.

The Intel 540 is an upgrade from my current iris 4000(If I remember correctly). My usage will be cutting prores hq footage and some cinema DNG raw, grading and rendering out, I can't see why the I7 SP4's won't be able to handle that comfortably but is it worth me plumping for the 16gb over the 8?

I have 2 big worries, firstly the hard drive space, im used to my 1.128TB setup so halving that could be an issue when it comes to editing large projects. I know there's a micro SD slot and Sandisk 128gb cards are currently on offer at Argos so I could use that as a permanent drive for my pictures,music and documents leaving the SSD for my apps and current video project. My plan is to use the dock connected to a LaCie raid enclosure setup for project back ups and for times where I have 2 edits on the go at once so i can move footage from the built in SSD to the enclosure and vice versa. I have however read that the SP4 has shown some issues reading the micro sd slot and external drives at the same time, does anyone have experience of this as it could be a big issue for me if I want to have say an edit sheet document up on the SP4 screen and a premiere window up on an external monitor with an edit being performed directly from an external SSD.

My second issue is down to my lack of windows experience,I went and had a look at an SP3 in a local pc world and using what I assume was either windows 8.1 or 10 I just couldn't get along with the idea of having 2 seperate systems,a standard desktop and then the tablet desktop setup,I kept getting confused between whether i was using the bbc sport app or whether i was on the site itself, is this something you get used to and what sort of day to day workflow do people have with this setup?

Cheers folks,90 percent decided on this route just need some reassurance!

8. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

i see. I didn't test that, but i may go by there later today. If i do, I'll test it and let you know.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If money is no object you could get even more, effectively about 180GB. Not sure about your other questions though.

10. Mveditor

Mveditor Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting but at that price an upgrade to the 1tb SSD seems more appealing.

Another thought, will i be able to use the pen to draw masks in after effects?

Id also be using the SP to back up footage on set,with just the one USB port Id be using a card reader/USB hub to move the footage from an SD card to an external SSD, will the one in built USB port be able to read and write at the same time or will I need to love the footage onto the SP itself then onto the external drive?

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015