Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Totally happy with IE here on my SP3, essentially idle all the time while browsing using adblock. Edge might be good one day, but IE does everything I need without issue.

Interesting I'm not the only one that absolutely loves the Surface Pro line, has owned them all, with continue to buy and use them daily, but will not recommend them to others. For me, it's been the wireless issues (SP3 at launch, finally resolved *cross fingers*) and the high CPU usage rate while idle via system and system interrupts that plagued the SP2 and carried over to my SP3. Finally too this seems fixed, but it never should have gone to the SP3, much less take almost a year for them to fix after it released.

Will be picking up a SP4 despite the potential issues at some point, but currently have a great performing SP3 that I think is finally ironed out ha, so not in a hurry,

dstrauss likes this.
  2. Gus Smedstad

Gus Smedstad Pen Pal - Newbie

For me it's cross-platform support. I currently use Windows, iOS, and Android regularly. Having them share bookmarks and history is a huge boon for me.

Though it is true that since getting the SP4, I'm only using Chrome on the iPad infrequently now. It's just a lot faster and more stable on the SP4 - no issues with Google News twitching, or typing slowing to a crawl, or this forum losing dialog focus every 90 seconds when the ads rotate.

Edge and IE are nonstarters for me because I can't easily pick up a line of inquiry I started on the iPad or Nexus 7. Or vice versa.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Valid reason.

I don't use iOS, but I have utilized that advantage for my GN4. Usually I can pick up where I've left off using a sufficiently specific search, but I have resorted to Chrome a few times for the shared history. It is one of the many little reasons I always have Chrome installed as my alternate browser. I stick with IE most of the time to conserve the battery.

I suppose that does prevent me from going the other way with it (Windows PC->Android phone), but I haven't run into enough problems with that to warrant the battery drain. For me it almost always goes one direction (started search on phone -> PC).

Still, it is MS's intention to make Edge cross platform, so it will be a nice advantage whenever they get Edge ironed out.

4. Gus Smedstad

PC -> Android Tablet comes up for me primarily if it's an address, since I always have the Nexus 7 with me, and an address is the thing I'm most likely to re-check away from home. I've used it for a recipe or two as well - found the recipe on the PC, wanted the ingredient list in the kitchen.

PC -> SP4 or PC -> iPad's more common, since I'll use either one as a casual browser.

Still, I agree that Android Tablet -> PC is the most common route.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I'm thinking of going iOS so cross platform would be nice...

Zeelobby and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

BANNED!

7. Gus Smedstad

The thing that's really irritating me is that the stylus stops working periodically. At first it came and went so rapidly I thought touches just weren't registering. Then this morning it turned off and didn't come back. No cursor following the pen, no response to touches. A reboot fixed that, but now it's off again, and rebooting didn't help. The pen just doesn't work.

8. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty good first impression here

benjammin likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

You know the irony of it all? I think I recall an AnandTech article stating that Edge "built" or was based on Metro IE. How in the heck do you make a browser that was one of the fastest sleekest things in the mobile world, into a so-called "streamlined" but really convoluted mess? Well, this is M$.

alextrela182 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

That's why I was in panic mode when I had my fill of Edge locking up on my school textbook site, school website, email site, shopping sites, etc, and I was looking to pull my new bookmarks out of there and export them. Fortunately, Transmute was there to save the day to export everything over from Edge to Firefox, IE and Chrome so I could depart from the cyberspace oblivion that is Edge:
    http://www.gettransmute.com/download/trialpay/?os=windows

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.