Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Gang,

I am on my third SP4 and upgraded to the I5/256/8 model. Along with the driver issues I noticed that when inking on the SP4 it creates light ripples in the display. Very off putting. I compared to my SP3 with the same specs and nothing on that display while inking. I have tested with Microsoft Journal, OneNote 2016 and Drawboard PDF. Wondering if those of you that ink notice the rippling effect on your SP4's. I have the screen brightness at 100%. Thanks.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The problem here is that my Galaxy S4 that is a fraction of the speed of these has no issues, and Chrome, Firefox and IE on those respective devices also have no issues. Face it, Edge is an embarrassingly buggy mess. It's the Vista/ME of browsers. Hopefully, Redstone brings about a Windows 7-like turnaround for the dang thing because it is unusable at this point.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...all problems continuing in the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4...>>

...My feelings are similar to Dale's, but I'll put them in a different context: My daughter is approaching the day when she's going to need a new laptop. But thinking ahead to that time, I've already dismissed the idea of buying her any of the Microsoft products. It's much more likely that she'll get either an HP or... most likely... a Dell. And it's precisely for the reason that Dale has articulated so well; four iterations down the line and Surface Pro still suffers from infant problems that should absolutely, positively, be squashed by now. It would actually be reassuring if they were at least different problems! But they're pretty much not.

Back to my daughter. She doesn't need these kinds of issues on her day-to-day computing device and in many cases doesn't have the technical experience to cope with them. So Microsoft is out, and dull as dish water... but works... Dell is in. And maybe that's OK, if you view Microsoft's products as bleeding edge, which they are. But it's a shame that only we technocrats / early adopters / evangelists can cope with them...

dbrn and wataru like this.
  4. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Mobile browsers are coded a lot different and sometimes don't do as much. There could also be different code bases based on whether you are coming in with a desktop browser or a mobile browser. Depending on the site and features, I might cut back on a few things if you're using mobile.

In all honesty, I don't use Edge that much. I've only used it a few times just to see if some of my web apps worked. :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is my concern. WE are the fanboys, we are Microsofts first line of defense out there in the real world. I normally would jump into a debate full steam, but these days I am hesitant and usually don't bother arguing the merits. I just enjoy my SP4 but I don't try to push it on anyone anymore.

It's fascinating to me, it really should just be the proper allocation of resources at Microsoft. I remember reading the number one complaint registered by Microsoft through their feedback was Edge extensions, yet not only are they not here, they've been delayed until next year. There was a substantial outcry for placeholders in OneDrive as well, MS gave a vague promise that they might return in some form in the future, and here we are no placeholders and storage just got chopped BADLY. With the way they mangled tablet use in Win10, not cut features but literally mangled features, I just have no faith in their direction. Are they still having the issue of remote teams with no communication between them and political strife between teams?

gcoupe and dstrauss like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Yep, but the problem is Edge has problems compared to all the desktop and mobile browsers I just finished mentioning and that is inexcusable for a brand-new browser that should be starting with a clean codebase. I view this site using the desktop version on my phone as well and it speeds through unlike the sluggish Edge the Hutt. In the end, it is good you haven't given Edge a serious look because it is just all heartache and headaches if you attempt to make it your daily driver.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You have hit the nail on the head. For some unknown reason each generation of Surface Pro (and now Surface Book) suffer from the same "out of the box" problems, and it takes months or more to hunt them down, fix them, break something else, and then fix that (hopefully). I lose count of how many successive patches were made to try to stabilize the Marvel wireless chip in Surface 2 and Surface 3, before you quit getting the limited access triangle.

I realize these devices are aspirational devices, but when you claim they are the tablet that replace your laptop, they have to deliver. I'm with you; only the tech savvy need venture here (to Microsoft).

AND yet I still love my Surface Pro 3 (loud fan and all)...am I psychotic -
    DON'T ANSWER THAT...:confused::eek:o_O:(

wataru and Kumabjorn like this.
  8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Edge is my daily driver on my SP4 and it's a hate-dislike situation. THANK god someone suggested Touch Me Gesture Studio as that has saved my sanity, giving me back swipes and unrelated, gesture based brightness/volume, etc. Also I thank the heavens for Ad Fender which works quite nicely with Edge, although it does have it's occasional issues. Even with that, Edge is such a hunk of junk, it loads pages slowly, frequently crashes, and I also have the issue where on forums at times it just slows to a crawl and I'm literally typing one letter at a time and waiting for it to refresh. I'm utterly confused why they ditched Metro IE, that was an incredible work of art and the pinnacle of tablet touch browsers, there is absolutely nothing on the market like it. Chrome and Firefox are atrocious on a touch tablet and I refuse to use them if they have no regard for the year 2015 and tablet use. So basically I'm forced to use Edge as there are no viable alternatives out there.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For me it is a hate-hate-Chrome relationship. I hate Edge and I HATE the fact it has driven me to Chrome (that battery sucking hog).

wataru likes this.
  10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Dang this thread got real serious over the past few pages! Entertaining with my cup of oats and coffee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.