Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep sonic same thing happens to me,,, if I am typing in forums etc.. its like it freezes from time to time. Use other browsers and everything is fine

BTW does chrome still suffer the big power hit when its being used? Or did they make that better? Thanks.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

Edge definitely has issues (can't recall if they are recent), on a T450s Thinkpad the fan comes on every few minutes when using Edge, on Firefox and even Chrome it never comes on. This is really not the way to convince users to switch to Edge, the development manager in charge needs to be replaced.

thierryb and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

You know what I think? Microsoft should buy up a company with the know-how to actually make a browser right. It worked for them when they bought Acompli, who now build the Outlook app. Maybe they should buy the company that produces Dolphin on Android or something. Either way, Edge definitely is garbage; IE doesn't have the bizarre errors Edge does. I miss the Metro/touch version of IE on Windows 8.1, which is lightyears better than Edge ever has been.

alextrela182, JoeS and metalsiren like this.
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea I miss Metro IE sooooooooooooooo much its not funny.

spinedoc77, sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  5. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't believe everything uniformed sales associates say. Best Buy will still happily sell Surface Book via their website right now-- they're not holding anything due to stability. They've simply run out of inventory nationally in stores and have to wait for more to come from MS. They probably don't have a staff member who's allowed/qualified to install driver updates to fix their display unit's bugs. Like Surface Pro 4, Surface Book's bugs were largely related to display driver issues.

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Fixed.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Whenever I type comments on this site with Edge, there are times the entire darned thing will freeze for tens of seconds at a time when the reply auto saving occurs...>>

...Yet by contrast, I have had no problems with Edge and this site. I certainly believe you, and my take is that Edge shouldn't behave this way; slow for one user and OK for another. Again, Microsoft's update cycle for Edge waaaaaaaay too long....

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My rants sure do cause problems now and again - seriously, you are absolutely right about the Apple problem - they have poked the bear, but instead of a spear they are using a willow branch, and the public is going to (wrongly) run back to the safe embrace of Apple's walled garden.

Edge does it to me in almost any forum...it is a version "A" beta at best. And it is so frustrating, because at times it can be miles faster than Chrome - which I have had to set as my default because of Edge.

Lisa - trust me, I have no illusions about the blue shirts (I have nearly blown a gasket listening to them up-sell a hapless buyer with stuff they didn't and NEVER WOULD need, or flat lie about specs). But they did have their display model locked away in the back cabinet along with a couple of i5 models.

As for device quality, I feel this is much more than just a driver problem. The IT department confiscated my son's brand new Surface Book (i5/8gg/256gb) this morning because of random reboots, network disconnections, and freezing. My point is plain and simple - I've owned the Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and now Surface Pro 3 - EVERY ONE came out of the box with wireless network issues (thank you Marvel), display quirks and failures (thank you Intel), and connected standby that still cannot do what a MacBook Air can - close the lid and it powers down with no battery drain (thank you Intel/Microsoft); all problems continuing in the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4. This is 2015 and we are long past the days when vendors can just point fingers around the room at one another saying its a hardware-firmware-driver-software issue.

And worst still, most of us at this forum are the fanboy/evangelists for the new Microsoft - which is just turning out to be the old Microsoft in hipper (untucked shirts) clothing. If they lose the evangelists, they have truly lost the war, because if we give up on driver installs, registry workarounds, and system restores, what is the hope for the average consumer?

Kumabjorn and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

This is constant across all my Windows 10 devices (Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 with Intel Core M-5Y71; WinBook TW801 with Intel Atom Z3735F) and both have had updates come within the last few days (October 29th). Maybe on a high-performance quad-core desktop this is a non-issue. But, then again, a browser should not be that much of a process hog or there are some major issues in the underlying code.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    metalsiren likes this.
  10. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

you can blame the web-application paradigm for that. People want sites to do more and more. The web browser is the thing that consumes most of my memory and CPU time. It's bad when stuff like Visual Studio 2015 and Sql Server run with less resources than a web browser.

wataru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.