Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

There's a lot of factors in bringing a product to market. MS and Intel thought they had the right time frame and said. Ok we can do it at this time. Then you have to give retailers a six month notice to setup their stores in the retail space. (One of the people I interviewed mentioned that they waited until the last possible moment to announce said item because places like Best Buy and Walmart needed a six month lead to be able to coordinate carrying of said item. Their rules) You also have to buy advertising time. There are also a ton of other things I'm forgetting or failing to mention when it goes to pushing out an item.

That said, Intel could have told MS yes we will have this fixed in six months. Then MS would go through all they would have to to get the product to store shelves and etailers. Any delay would cost the company a ton of money. Investors would be pretty upset..etc.etc.

Good or bad, I learned a few things when I talked with some folks who handle this and how a lot of the stuff is set in place and would be affected if you delay something that's high profile.

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, 1000x. The SP4 is like that super model type you date who is super dysfunctional, the one who you wake up to in the middle of the night sitting in a chair staring at you (true story). The graphics drivers are INEXCUSABLE, with the updated "fixed" driver I still get graphics drivers crashes. Crashes, jeez seriously can we give the Apple fanboys more ammunition for their "duhhh windows blue screen" rants? Hell I can't even argue with them, I got a freaking blue screen last night. Don't even get me started on OneDrive, what a gigantic steaming pile of.... First they take away placeholders, virtually the only thing differentiating them from the market. Placeholders were removed because of space, yet they turn around and completely hamstrung our space, yep makes perfect sense in some alternate universe. OneDrive for business is even worse, I stopped paying for it and ran into Google open arms.

You just gotta wonder about Microsoft. Axing tablet features in win10, reworking functionality to be much less functional (brightness control I'm lookin at you), all this hard work on crap like Skype and Cortana, which I'm not saying isn't important, but fix the basic stuff first for gods sake.

dstrauss and Zeelobby like this.
  3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Then don't delay. Expect 9 months and tell Intel 6. It's not like MS doesn't have the money and resources to retask if things are done in 6 instead of 9. Itd just be respectful to give their consumers, especially loyal Surface consumers, a close to bug free experience out the door. I want MS to provide the Apple experience. I realize Apple has been producing PCs much longer, but MS should make the effort to match them. To be a true beacon of the power of their OS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. jyan_osu

I've worked with enough vendors at large firms where they said X amount of time frame and miss it.. It's crazy sometimes. Then I sit there and go.. it's really simple.. why can't they do this.. and then I sigh and go back to waiting and coding around the situation until they are finally able to deliver. :)

Zeelobby likes this.
  5. jyan_osu

6. Zeelobby

MS just seems to be floundering as far as purpose. One second they want to get into the tablet/mobile market to become the next Apple (WindowsRT/Surface/WP). Then they want to get into fun/gimmicky service market and become the next Google (Skype/Cortana). The problem is they seem to be chasing quarterly/yearly profits so hard, that they're not willing to take a couple years of losses to get it right. So we end up getting 4/5 of a product at each turn. Hopefully they continue their service focus to the end, and don't switch to MS internet balloons over Africa as their driving product in a year or two.

7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just to describe my SP4 day so far...
    Woke up at 8am, turned on my SP4 and it wouldn't turn on at all. Red camera light would go on for a second, I saw the backlight faintly light up, but refused to turn on. Had to force reboot, then I get the Surface logo for a solid 5+ minutes while it reboots, finally reboots. Windows hello doesn't recognize me, I login with my PIN. Have 3 or 4 graphics driver crashes. Then while responding to Dstrauss' rant with my own rant my touch screen stopped working completely. Reboot and here I am, and I've only had it on for 2 freaking hours.

Can you imagine what would happen if an iPad were released with graphic driver crashes, or a touch screen which stopped working?!?!?? Microsoft has made GREAT strides in catching up to Apple, great hardware build, great customer service in store, but man the entire windows software is terrible urban myth will continue to hound them. Give these issues to an average consumer soccer mom and I guarantee you they will sprint right back to the store, return it and walk across the hallway to Apple.

wataru and dstrauss like this.
  8. Zeelobby

Yeah. I mean it's a consistent issue. For many companies, who have one profitable product/service, there's really no choice. But MS should have the wiggle room to make it work.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Edge is just a cluster...>>

...I don't completely agree; I've been using Edge since Day 1 of Windows 10, and although Edge has had some issues for me, overall it's been... sort of OK.

HOWEVER, I absolutely agree with the complaint about updating Edge a lot faster and a lot more dramatically. Doing a browser isn't rocket science. There's no reason why we shouldn't all be running Edge 8 or Edge 10 by now. The delay in getting add-ons, for example, is just ridiculous...

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Whenever I type comments on this site with Edge, there are times the entire darned thing will freeze for tens of seconds at a time when the reply auto saving occurs. I first thought it was a device performance issue, given that I was accessing the site on a Core M or Atom tablet... wrong! I switch to Chrome or IE and the lock-ups end completely. Heck, on my underpowered Samsung Galaxy S4, which gets about 1200ms in Sunspider, where I am typing now in its Chrome browser, I never get the Edge edginess where random lock-ups occur. Another example: Up until about a month ago, Edge would lock up and not respond indefinitely on Speedtest.net. Edge has issues on scores of websites. I now understand why Edge still has a logo based on IE. It is tapping into its own ancestry and being true to its roots by keeping up the tradition of typical IE instability and buginesss.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    wataru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.