Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I just did it so I don't know. Right now my machine is upstairs plugged in while I remote desktop into from my workstation in the basement to do development. Will know more maybe tonight when I take it off the charger

2. GatsbyGlen

GatsbyGlen Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Perhaps I'll return mine and hope I get a Toshiba drive :)

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am quoting all of you for a singular reason - if Microsoft cannot produce a stable platform with its own OS, drivers and custom designed hardware - the other OEM's don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Release after release (from Surface Pro) the SAME problems occur - wonky video, wifi, and battery drain in connected standby, and it is an AGONIZING 6-12 months of firmware and driver updates to make it stable. QUIT RELEASING HALF-BAKED HARDWARE - maybe they need to move to a two year release cycle - one to design and build, the second year to TEST IT. I'm tired, as an evangelist, making excuses to my friends and associates as to why they should buy devices that take months of PUBLIC beta testing before they get stable.

In reality, the SP 4 is a gem compared to the problems with Surface Book. Our local Best Buy (granted not a good sample) has taken down its display unit and has NO MODELS for sale, awaiting a second delivery of "more stable" devices.

And don't even get me started on the mess called EDGE. At times it is rocket fast, then all of a sudden the cursor won't even move and text won't input - they need to re-brand it "Bleeding Edge."

Top this all off with the debacle called OneDrive - sorry, "No unlimited storage for you!" after making that their hallmark. Doesn't really matter, since it has never been stable or reliable either (feeling a common thread yet) - and I doubt I would ever use the full 1 TB online anyway, but to blame it on a very small number of users "abusing" the service by uploading 75 TB or more - does that not sound mysteriously like AT&T and Verizon choking "unlimited" data accounts by merely claiming they didn't mean unlimited as in "without limits."

Yep, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed (grave) this morning - but if they can piss off thirty year veterans - what's the hope in transforming the current generation? Like you @spinedoc77 they won't be prying my SP3 from my cold dead hands (unless I punt it to eBay heaven) - but I can see a lot of those iPad XL's getting into the hands of unsuspecting users because Microsoft has no toes left...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Interesting, if the retailers are reacting then Microsoft is likely to speed up their effort.

Balbutio ergo sum

5. GatsbyGlen

GatsbyGlen Pen Pal - Newbie

This seems to affect the battery saver option for me. Normally, activating it makes the screen a bit dimmer. It doesn't do that with the updated driver, so I rolled it back.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Kumabjorn - it's not so much whether Microsoft "speeds up its efforts" - in fact they claim the latest driver update for the HD 520 fixes the screen flicker (who knows), it's that Frankenstein keeps getting out of the laboratory with the criminal brain (sorry, aftereffect of too much Halloween candy).

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My assumption was that when the reaction comes from the retail channel rather than individual users, the higher ups in Microsoft puts down their Xbox controllers and start to pay attention.

Balbutio ergo sum

dstrauss likes this.
  8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

some of the blame I think we can give to Intel... since most every year MS uses a new intel chip and new video right off the press... and it take time for Intel to fix their issues as well. for the wireless problems its the same card and there should be no issues with that (but I do wireless for a living and I have seen thing break once router firmware was updated and then the wireless card driver has to be updated, yada yada)....for the other things like CS and the like... that crap should be working out of the box.

Edge is just a cluster ****.... it was not ready for prime time and its still not ready. Hell the dam thing won't support basic add blocker until prob middle of next year. Like I said before they need to update edge faster and not leave it in this useless state. I choose to use this POS because from what I remember Chrome eats battery worse... if Chrome fixed that I would use chrome and not look back.

9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the end though, it all comes down to MS. They're responsible for the experience of a product they have manufactured. If they know Intel's latest chips have issues (which they must have if they did any testing) then they should have released it with an older chip or, preferably, delayed the announcement of the release until next year when the hardware/software was air tight. It's like manufacturers are expected to produce a new product yearly now, and very few cafe whether it works out the door anymore. That few should not include MS, but right now but feels like it does.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It looks like my (purely speculative comment) about the Marvell wireless chip potentially being the culprit for @spinedoc77's connected stand by problems (as it has been in prior generations) has morphed into something else =P

I wasn't speaking to anything that has been reported about the SP4, but connected standby problems in the past have been traced back to bad Marvell driver updates (SP3 and S3).

Also, there have been widespread issues with connectivity frequently dropping to "limited", and slow performance issues that were due to drivers (dating back to the Surface RT). There have been issues where simultaneous WiFi and Bluetooth usage would cause frequent Bluetooth dropouts. Also, I hadn't been aware of this, but Anandtech mentioned in the SP4 review Marvell consistently ranks near the bottom in performance.

All this has lead to my impression that Marvell isn't a great choice that I wish MS would reconsider... I am very happy for those who have not experienced issues, hopefully a future Marvell driver update wont change that =P

johnchad14 and Bronsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.