Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You make the right decision getting new replacement and with little luck you get the better one with Toshiba drive.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. alextrela182

Never had issue with Marvell wifi chip where ever I got my Pro 3(home,at work,others friends house) with different wifi routers)
    Not even at subways station(metro) that we have free wifi in same central station or in the airport while waiting our plane or several cafe like Starbucks.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

3. alextrela182

The Toshiba has better performance.
    Take a look at Engadget review or Anandtech both had 256 Toshiba SSD.
    Notebookcheck had Samsung 256 with worst performance.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

GatsbyGlen likes this.
  4. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Finally got mine! It was delivered on 10/26, but I had it reshipped overseas. What a beautiful piece of hardware it is! I thought my SP1 was the best tablet PC I had ever used (the only thing I didn't like was the aspect ratio), and this thing is sooo much better in every way.

I'm not having any hardware bugs at all. No light bleed, I don't notice any particular flexing on the screen, and the fan has only come on once while updating. Also I was surprised at how quickly I was able to use it. I was worried I'd have to spend a day or two updating and setting up but actually it only took about 10-20 mins, including download time.

I've never used Windows 10, and I think I really like it (but then I thought Windows 8 was an embarrassment). Still not sure, and I haven't played with the TIP at all, so my feelings might change, but first impression is very positive.

Then there's Edge. I've had color changes when scrolling (which I think got fixed in a later update) and display driver crashes every 5 mins or so, which is not fixed. It's harder to use with touch than either IE or Chrome. It's basically unusable. I thought Edge was Microsoft's attempt to increase market share compared to Chrome and Firefox? What an epic fail. I could go on about it, but for now I just don't use it, IE is still there and works fine, and of course I've installed Chrome too. What were they thinking?

Like most people here I've been an early adopter of tablets for a long time, so I wasn't too concerned about some of the complaints over bugs. Only the people having problems are posting, so it looks worse than it is. This is the best machine I've ever owned, and I'm liking Windows 10 so far. I'll just pretend Edge never existed.

I still need to install Office and a PDF editor (I use Drawboard, at least for now). And of course Steam and Civ V. If I have problems I'll post them.

be77solo likes this.
  5. Gus Smedstad

Gus Smedstad Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had any trouble with my wireless. I don't recall what was said upthread about it, I must have missed it.

No problems with my display driver at present. I agree that getting a BSOD on a Microsoft display driver is ridiculous, and I'd be pretty upset if I'd experienced one myself.

Not really feeling problems with standby so far, but I haven't really had it out of the house as yet. Plugging it in every night has been enough.

6. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

For those having battery drain during sleep, try updating the battery drivers. If your driver isn't from the year 2013, that could be the cuplrit

Right click on the window icon in the bottom left. go into device manager. Click on batteries, select ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery, click Update Driver Software, Click on Search automatically for updated driver software.

it should now say 2013 drivers in the properties as well as NEC battery

Gus Smedstad and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

has this helped you ? just curious and thanks.

8. jyan_osu

I'm not saying people aren't having wireless issues. but I'm doing good so far. In fact right now, I'm remote desktopped into my Surface Pro 4 which is connected to my wireless router via 2.4Ghz doing development. No disconnects.. No slowness from network. (I'm doing this cause all my code is currently there and I have dual monitors on my new Skylake desktop that I want to take advantage of and my desktop is mainly a gaming rig so no dev tools on it)

I've always been able to copy a few gig of files from my server via wireless.

So while I'm just a sample size of 1, I can say mine's been pretty good..

9. Gus Smedstad

Gus Smedstad Pen Pal - Newbie

I just checked, and sure enough, my battery driver was from 2006 and updating gave me the 2013 driver.

10. jyan_osu

For those interested in battery life between the M CPU and the i5 , here's a comparison

http://www.winbeta.org/news/battery-life-experiences-surface-pro-4-core-m3-base-model

"Bottom line is, from my experiences using the device thus far, my recommendation is this: buy the base m3 model because it’s cheaper, you don’t need the extra processing power, and it’s fan-less and lighter. Don’t buy it because you want better battery life."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.