Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I've noticed the battery going down seemingly awfully fast compared to my SP2. But I've been adjusting settings as well, and switching between using or not using Windows Hello (some said that it was causing major drains). I've tried turning Connected Standby off so I could mess around with throttling the CPU, but it does seems to slow it down too much for my liking. Turing off CS meant I lost the ability to Sleep my SP4, and then it would occasionally hang waking up from Hibernate. So with new updates that came out today, I switched Connected Standby back on. I guess we'll see. :D

Mind you, I'm really paying attention to battery life for those times I'm on the road at a convention for the whole day, where I won't have access to an outlet. Going around town, and drawing at the library or coffee shop, you probably don't need to worry about it, it'll last the afternoon/night.

I have gotten used to the loss of my Pen Buttons, putting Undo in a better position on my Command Bar in Manga Studio. With more real estate in physical size and resolution, I pretty much leave the menus on the left side open all the time, so no need for a "Hide All Menus" button on the pen. Yes, IMO the screen does make up for the Pen's shortcomings (coming from an SP2). And I have tweaked the pen's pressure to my liking, but the only annoying bit about the Pen now is the Eraser that doesn't seem to have as fine pressure control like the nib.

PS, I guess the FB link doesn't work if you don't have an FB account. :/
    Sketch 692a.jpg Sketch 692b.jpg Sketch 693.jpg

kruzilla likes this.
  2. GatsbyGlen

GatsbyGlen Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm curious to know which has the better benchmarks. My SP4 came with the Samsung SSD.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

For the pen button, you could try installing RadialMenu (http://radialmenu.weebly.com/) and see if it allows you to override it. On my surface pro 3 it worked.... generally!

4. Gus Smedstad

Gus Smedstad Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a hidden button on the SP 4 pen. It's under the end of the magnetic strip. If you press down on that section, it clicks. Hold the button down and tap the screen is right-click.

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Woohoo, first blue screen here!! Wow I haven't seen one of those in ages.

Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error

GatsbyGlen likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Are we listening and reading what we are saying and writing around here? Yes, the Surface Pro is new and cutting edge, but the failures and work-arounds are outrageous. And the Surface Pro is #4 - this is inexcusable. Wireless still wonky - and that STARTED with Surface Pro and keeps happening with every new model. Display drivers - ALWAYS a problem. And don't even get me started on (dis)connected standby - "I close it and I save every bit of battery life; no drain... " is NOT true...

I love my Surface Pro 3, but it has been 16 months of continuous tinkering, tweaking, and wholesale restores to get there. And the list of "always expected errors" never changes from model to model: bad display drivers; bad wireless; (dis)connected standby.

Fix it already - and don't let it out of the lab until it can sell a functioning products. Yes, this is a rant, and I am off the reservation, but as a group we are more experienced, more adventurous, and basically evangelist for the platform - and even we are having nightmares...what does that ported for the average joe...

Zeelobby likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I get your frustration, but I'm not sure average Joe pushes it to the limit we do, nor experiment with alternative drivers and run benchmarks on the machine.

Balbutio ergo sum

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This isn't even a case of pushing the envelope - many of the travails with Surface Book (screen flicker, lock ups, reset that can not restore) were basic setup with Office only. Driver "experimentation" is only at the request of Microsoft...it's inexcusable

9. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I completely agree with you. With that said, you wouldn't pry my SP4 from my lifeless, cold hands. I wouldn't even think twice about buying any other tablet on the market, or that's been announced.

Sigh, being a Microsoft loyalist has always carried around a high overhead. What gets me frustrated is how many semi useless things MS works on while ignoring fixes and functionality. The Edge browser is pitiful, and it's incredible to me that they market such a crappy and unfinished product as much as they do.

be77solo and dstrauss like this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Ah, Edge. For me, it has actually gotten slower and more buggy than when it first released. I had my fill of it and I am now using Chrome, which I haven't touched in about a year. IE on Windows 8.1 is still better than edgy Edge. Edge still does not have third party extension support or synchronization, both of which I need. At the rate its development is going, Edge probably won't have either of the aforementioned features until Redstone is released.

spinedoc77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.