Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft introduced Surface Pro 4, the thinnest, lightest and most powerful tablet that can replace your laptop. At only 8.4 mm thin, it features a stunning 12.3-inch PixelSense Display and 6th Generation Intel® Core™ m, Core™ i5, and Core™ i7 processors, enabling everyone from students to professionals to get more done on the go. Starting at $899, Surface Pro 4 is not only 30 percent more powerful than Surface Pro 3 but also quieter, runs cooler, and is even more efficient with up to nine hours of battery life.

image.jpeg

The new Surface Pro 4 Type Cover takes Surface Pro 4 from tablet to laptop in an instant and features a redesigned mechanical keyboard with optimal key spacing for fast and fluid typing. Backwards compatible with Surface Pro 3, the new Surface Pro 4 Type Cover comes with an optional fingerprint reader, bringing the convenience and enterprise-grade security of Windows Hello to existing customers. The redesigned Surface Pen packs 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity, letting you write, draw and mark documents with precision ink on one end and an eraser on the other.

Microsoft Pro 4 Review

Attached Files:

Steve S, JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

"Everyone" is in the SP4 predictions and Surface Book threads. But yea, it is time for the SP4 Discussion thread.

JoeS and Luft like this.
  3. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like the i7 version of Surface Pro 4 will have Iris 540 which includes 64MB of EDRAM! This is actually pretty powerful, if the discrete gpu in the surfacebook is just a 940M the Iris 540 isn't that bad comparatively.... But now I want the surfacebook just because of the keyboard base..... man... i'm so confused.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is there such thing as power remorse, like buyers remorse but just for the lack of power? Like I really like the S3, but I really wish now it had the Core M3 cpu(with 256gb option).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    HeavyHanded likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Placed my order for a customized i7 SP4. Delivery in late November.

Still not seeing any information on the new Type Covers, however. Are there two versions? One for Pro 3 (no RealSense) and one for Pro 4 (RealSense)?

Bronsky and spinedoc77 like this.
  6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which hard drive did you get? I'm tempted by the M3 because of the throttling on the SP3's, but it's kind of crappy you can only get 4gb/128gb ram. I'll probably settle somewhere in the middle and grab an i5/256 or i5/512.

Wow preorders are already out to late November?!?! I wonder if that's volume, or are they staggering release like they did with the SP3.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Which hard drive did you get?..>>

...256 GB. I pondered a 512 GB SSD, but the difference in cost was $400. Since I don't load up my SSD like some apparently do, 256 GB is more than adequate for me. Interestingly, Doubling the RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB was only $200!

<<...Wow preorders are already out to late November?!?!...>>

...No; I ordered a "customized SP4." The customized units take longer, for obvious reasons...

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member

I would consider the Core M Surface Pro 4, but I'm just wondering, do you think the new Surface Pen with the eraser tip will work on the Surface Pro 3 or is there specific software magic going on in the SP4? On Wacom devices, pens with eraser functionality just work, so I wonder if there would be a similar response on N-trig.

If the new pen works, I'll likely stick with my i3 SP3 for now until the price drops a bit and some used ones hit the re-selling marketplace. Or I may get the Miix 700 for the Wacom and included keyboard.

9. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do we know how much the new pen will cost?

10. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member

$59.99. Microsoft really did well to make all the new accessories backwards compatible, the new type cover will also work on the SP3. I think that was a kickass move and will gain some loyal customers.

Looks like the pen will work fully. Here's a press kit for the accessories: http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/surface/docs/surfaceaccessoriesfs.docx

Kumabjorn likes this.