Surface Pro 4, Dell XPS 12, Spectre x2, Miix 700

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by HarryJ, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarryJ

HarryJ Pen Pal - Newbie

I've read and watched an exhaustive amount of youtube videos on the aforementioned tablets and am still scratching my head as to where I should go. Each of the tablets has something desireable (to me):

Surface Pro 4 has brand name recognition and it seems to have (along with Dell) the best build quality.
    Dell XPS 12 has the build quality and the 4K resolution model it seems would provide the best movie streaming experience.
    Spectre x2 is the only one (maybe the Miix 700) that I can get the new core m7 CPU for ($50 above the m5). I do not need an i3, i5, or i7 but I wanted the most powerful (non-gaming) cpu for good battery life. I like the kickstand also.
    The Miix 700 seems to be the biggest unknown because there isn't much on the Lenovo web site as far as config options and it doesn't seem to be available until early next year. I'm willing to wait if this is the best tablet for me but as of yet I know the least about the Miix700

So I'm torn with what direction I should go. Since this will be my tablet for the next 3 years I want a light, high build quality device with a great screen and good battery life.

Up until a week ago i wasn't even considering a windows 10 tablet, but then I heard Sony's announcement that they will be providing PS4 remote play to windows O/S and that got me excited because the xperia Z4 didn't really impress me too much (I was hoping for a 12" screen).

Some decision helping questions:
    1. Is the Dell 3840 x 2160 screen a good enough reason to be leaning heavily towards it? Since I will be streaming and over the next couple years more 4k content will be coming I thought yes, but who knows.
    2. Do any of them not have backlit keyboards? This would eliminate them immediately.
    3. Is the m7 noticeably better than the m5? As an aside, why can't you get a surface pro 4 with an m5 or m7?
    4. When Sony does release the remote play for windows can I be reasonably confident that a windows 10 tablet will work?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

4K is dumb. And 4K on 12" screen is positively retarded.
    Make decisions based on the digitizer first (N-Trig vs Wacom AES) then the CPU.

I'd personally go with the cheapest but I'm like that lol.

ChrisRS and Bronsky like this.
  3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm leaning towards returning my SP4 i7 and grabbing a Miix 700 because then you can get the M chip and also a large hard drive. I'm a bit insulted that MS forces you to get the i5/i7 if you want a larger hard drive. I've also found that the i7 doesn't make a difference in my life. I was hoping to game a bit, but the i7 isn't more powerful than the i5 in benchmarks and they both still power throttle (instead of the gpu throttling of the SP3).

Also the SP4 has absolutely atrocious battery life. I hope the M chip in the Lenovo gives better battery life.

Of course I'm really waiting for the Samsung with Wacom EMR, but until then I'll just keep hopping from one tablet to the next.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Miix 700 is apparently very easy to get inside to upgrade the SSD. You just have to be patient in waiting for it to be released.

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Pen Pal - Newbie

So is the Dell Latitude 12 7275 just announced at ces the same as the xps 12? They sure look the same.

6. Sirkassad

Sirkassad Pen Pal - Newbie

The next month or two are shaping up to be interesting in the tablet world. I've eliminated the Miix 700 and the XPS 12. Now I'm eyeing the Toshiba Z20t-C, the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet, and the Elite X2 1012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.