Surface Pro 4 battery

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by ElectronicFur, Oct 29, 2020.

1. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah that was after I tried calibrating the battery. So I really don't know what's going on.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Sorry to join this thread late; I only had a chance to read it earlier today.

<<...I have a problem with my Surface Pro 4 battery, it discharges really quickly...The last few years I mostly use it docked...>>

@ElectronicFur : To cut directly to the chase, your battery is undoubtedly shot. One clue is your comment that it is kept mostly docked (and likely continuously charging?). One of the surest ways to prematurely kill your battery life is to keep your battery pack continuously charged to 100%. In addition, the number of cycles on the battery pack (666... kind of ironic...) is another clue. Typical Li-Ion cells are typically advertised to do 500 to 1000 charging cycles but, like battery operating times, those numbers are derived from very idealistic conditions (and probably a certain amount of advertising hype). Finally, the other battery symptoms that you recount are consistent with a battery pack that has reached end of life.

At this point, your options are probably:
    • Contact Microsoft tech support and enquire if they offer a battery replacement program. If they do, you are likely to find the cost unpalatable.
    • You can have someone attempt to replace the battery or do it yourself. In addition to the difficulty of finding a suitable replacement battery pack, opening the Surface 4 and replacing the pack is difficult even for experienced electronics repairmen.
    • Offload your SSD and buy a replacement tablet.
    Of course, you can probably continue to use your Surface 4 while docked, but your original post suggests that you also want it to be mobile.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

daddyfish likes this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, to add to this, Li batteries also do not like heat (a good example are all those bloated surface book 1's because the CPU is next to the battery in the tablet part, iirc this is mostly fixed in SB2/3).

Depending On the repair costs it might be more interesting to buy a 2handed or new Surface. Pro 4 is also known to have more issues than newer Pro's (flickergate), so in that regard I would not invest to much in it.

JoeS likes this.
  4. ElectronicFur

Well I'm obviously concerned it is, but it's not acting the way I've previously experienced batteries that are dead.

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my previous post, but this battery still gives me several hours of use. It's just that the battery management is completely messed up, and it dies without warning.

Another thing I've noticed whilst monitoring this is that the battery report and battery setting give completely different figures for how much battery capacity is left.

Eg right now battery report shows 73%, whilst battery settings shows 38%. o_O

upload_2020-11-20_21-21-43.png

upload_2020-11-20_21-20-58.png

And earlier today the battery report said 199%!

upload_2020-11-20_21-26-27.png

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@ElectronicFur : Sorry (again) for the long delay. I have no idea why the Windows battery monitor would be so out of step with your actual battery performance. The only thing I can think to suggest is that you contact the Microsoft Tech Support; maybe they have some experience with this...

Good luck...

6. ElectronicFur

My screen just started popping off on the left lower side, so definitely the battery expanding :eek:

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

:eek:

Uh so uhm... recalibrating the battery probably won't fix this then! Bad luck, sorry to hear it. Maybe someone here has experience with replacing the battery, or having it replaced by someone else.

ElectronicFur likes this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, be careful with it, as with any Li-ion that is expanding it can be dangerous (/potential fire hazard and unhealthy smoke if it opens). I would recommend getting in contact with MS if you haven't already.

ElectronicFur likes this.
  9. ElectronicFur

Yes, I'm waiting for MS to get back to me.