Surface Pro 4 battery

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by ElectronicFur, Oct 29, 2020.

1. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a problem with my Surface Pro 4 battery, it discharges really quickly.

The last few years I mostly use it docked, but even docked, I have an odd issue over the last couple of months where it seems to stop charging, even when plugged in. And then the battery rapidly looses charge, and the surface pro shuts down without any warning.

My low and critical battery levels are set at 10% and 5%, and reserve battery level at 6%, but I don't even get any notifications.

I think the battery is faulty now, as afterwards, when I plug it back in, it goes from 0% to showing eg 30% charge really quickly, like within 5 minutes.

Anyone had similar issues? Or successfully replaced the battery? I guess replacing it involves taking the whole thing apart?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe read up on battery calibration. Sometimes the battery electronics gradually forgets where the full and empty levels are. Although the typical calibration routine is 'allow the battery to drain completely, and then fully charge', which it sounds like you're doing already by accident.

You can also run a battery report to see what the OS thinks the state of the battery is. To do that, open a command window (hit Win-R, type cmd <enter>, type powercfg /batteryreport <enter>) It will tell you where it saved the report. Open that html file and it will show you pages of info, with the most important bits at the top. Below an example from my Galaxy Book2, which appears to be in good shape! More typical is to have a charge capacity e.g. 10% below design capacity, but I have an old ThinkPad that was down to five percent of original capacity.

upload_2020-10-29_8-43-15.png

3. ElectronicFur

My battery report looks like this:

upload_2020-10-29_21-15-50.png

upload_2020-10-29_21-22-20.png

You can see above how it at 20:32 it switched off without cleanly shutting down, and then when I restarted it the battery was at 14%. And after half an hour it already thinks it's recharged to 96%.

4. JoeS

Well, the good news is that the system thinks the capacity is still good! So maybe it is worth trying to calibrate the battery. Just google something like 'how to calibrate the battery of a surface pro'. Or 'of a laptop'.

Does anyone else here have any thoughts?

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

Probably a coincidence. :)

Bronsky likes this.
  7. ElectronicFur

Good spot! Supernatural battery behaviour would explain it :vbbiggrin:

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Maybe you need more than just a tech consult.

[​IMG]

9. ElectronicFur

It does appear to be supernatural intervention, as my battery report is now showing the remaining battery capacity at 226%

Really don't understand what is going on.

upload_2020-11-4_11-21-28.png

Bronsky likes this.
  10. JoeS

OK, now that's unusual! Did you look up how to calibrate the battery? I'd still give that a try just in case.