Surface Pro 3 Wifi Adapter disappeared from Device Manager

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by lovelaptops, Nov 13, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Apologies if this has been covered previously, but my searches here yielded nothing and my Google searches were of little help. Simple as this: Surface Pro 3 has worked flawlessly for a long time, did a general Windows Update (not to FCU) and upon rebooting the wifi adapter (Marvell) was simply gone and no wireless network capability was possible. No lists of available wifi networks, no nothing. So I connected to my router via an ethernet/USB adaptor, tried everything under the sun, but still no success. I'm about to reinstall Windows, but I'm beginning to think this is a hardware failure of the wifi adapter.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Any thoughts?..>>

Not sure why your WiFi went south, but I would suggest that you download the SP3 drivers and manually install the WiFi driver again:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

The instructions on the webpage are a little vague, but hopefully you won't encounter too much trouble...

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Older versions of windows had the option to search for hardware, is that functionality gone? Nothing shows up in Device Manager?

4. lovelaptops

Thank you Steve. I did that and indeed the wifi driver files, after extraction, were not installable. Don't recall the file extensions (there were 3 in the wifi folder) but none were. exe or otherwise clickable or installable. I'm thinking to just to a recovery / clean install. Make sense?

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Older versions of windows had the option to search for hardware...>>

...Good point! Open Device Manager and refresh; the WiFi adapter should show up...

6. lovelaptops

Too late! Turns out I initiated a hard recovery last night! We'll see if the wifi card is rediscovered. Thanks for the assistance. I didn't know you could refresh device manager.

7. DRTigerlilly

Yeah, when you open device manager, the computer with the magnifying glass icon to the right, will search for "new" hardware.

8. lovelaptops

Is this done automatically? I can't see an action to take.

Well, the good news is, the SP3 rediscovered its wifi card! Thanks all.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I had a similar incident with Bluetooth. It wasn't recognized, as if it didn't even exist. I think what happened is that I started up the computer while it was stealthily upgrading and that temporarily breaks the upgrade process. In the power on/off menu I used the upgrade and close option, after doing that for a few times Bluetooth decided to appear. By that time I had removed four or five devices to check that their Bluetooth radios were working.

10. DRTigerlilly

once you click on the mentioned icon, it would search for newly added hardware...and search for drivers, if it didn't find them it would give you the option to add then manually.

Glad it's back