Surface Pro 3 w/ i3 and zbrush

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BadGrim, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I like to draw and such, and I use zbrush in a medium sense.
    I used to have a SP3 i5 265/8G model and it ran everything like a champ.
    I miss the device now, but thinking about getting a i3 model (I can live with the 64Gb main drive, not an issue).
    I know my go-to apps of AD Sketchbook Pro and Manga studio will run like a champ on the i3, but I am concerned with zbrush.
    has anyone tried zbrush on the i3 model? Like worked with a multi-million poly model?

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Sorry, no zbrush.
    I just wanted to say you will find an enormous difference in performance with manga studio if you are used to the i5.
    It's decent, but nowhere near the 'like a champ' level. ;)

P.s.
    A bit better if you install the intel graphic driver and set the cpu performance at max.

3. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

ok - odd statement about manga studio. I've seen several blog posts, videos and such about running manga studio on the i3.
    And there's several other comments about running it on the i3 version of Cintiq Companion (which has the same internals as the SP3) not arguing, just wandering if you have tried it.
    have you run zbrush on an i3 SP3?
    I have had zbrush run 'acceptable' on much lower hardware.

4. Azzart

I had the i3 version before buying the i5 256gb.
    It's a great tablet, and I would advice it against the i5 for anyone who simply needs a tablet. But for drawing...
    If there isn't any big difference between i5 and i7, between i3 and i5 there's an abyss. Even rotating a mid res image on the i3 in photoshop taxes it. Clip Studio runs a bit better and more fluid than Photoshop, but it's still nowhere near what you get on the i5. Try opening a sample comic page file from Celsys on the i3 and you will see the machine becoming completely slow for the simplest tasks.
    It can be used for actual work, knowing though you can't expect much from it.
    Zbrush: I didn't try it so I can't give a first hand judgement, but considering it relies on cpu and ram, I wouldn't expect particularly high performance. (obviously compared to the i5)

5. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

cool man, thanks for the info!

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think the issue is the processor speed; it's the lack of RAM.

7. Azzart

Naaaah, if you try the i5 4gb you'll find it a lot faster than the i3 in Photoshop nonetheless. ;)
    Curiously, I just bought a vivotab note 8 and it seems to me it handles touch gestures in photoshop better than the sp3 i3...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.