Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I've always had the intermittent loss of pen feature. From day 1. Re-inserting the battery generally helps.

Since the Jan update, what I'm having is heat issues. Fir no apparent reason the fan will start spin crazy and it gets REALLY reaaaally hot in the back upper right area.

Anybody else having those issues?

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Does anyone else have this problem with the display?
    Basically, I notice for instance when browsing the internet that many times when displaying a forum post containing some image the screen continues to "pulse" as if it's trying to dinamically change the brightness/contrast of that part of the screen without being able to decide which level of brightness to stay on.
    It's like an almost imperceptible flickering, something you don't notice normally if you don't focus on it.
    It doesn't depend on automatic brightness control since it's disabled and I can tell it it's not due of me using a video driver from Intel since it happened with the Microsoft drivers too.

I really have no clue.

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's the refresh rate.

Right-click desktop background > "Screen Resolution" > Advanced Settings > Monitor tab, set the refresh rate to 59 or 60 Hz. You are probably set to 48 Hz if it's flickering like t hat.

If you manually installed the Intel GPU driver, this has a feature to dynamically change the refresh rate of the panel depending on whether you are on battery or plugged into AC. Disable this feature since I don't believe it has any major benefit to battery life.

Luft and Azzart like this.
  4. Azzart

Thanks I never knew it was set to 48hz!
    Now it's on 60 and better performance, I'll see if it ever happen again. ;)

5. winnster

winnster Pen Pal - Newbie

does anyone have the following issue?:
    when both a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are connected at the same time, after using mouse a lot or keyboard is idle, first keystroke from keyboard is a double character.
    for example enter: abc comes out aabc. if mouse turned off, keyboard works perfectly. Logitech mx5000 keyboard (tried 2 of them) and tried with either Logitech mouse or Microsoft surface mouse. surface live support was no help.

6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sure I've seen other posts about this, but I can't remember where, so...

In the past few days (I think) I started having a new problem with inking near the top (camera/light) edge of my SP3. When the nib got within about 1/4" of that edge, I'd get perfectly straight ink lines shooting off toward the top-right corner of the tablet - so, random, sometimes multiple horizontal lines would just appear. Reading around made me think this was just a stylus-battery issue since I have no other problems, but today I was walking past a Microsoft store and popped in on a whim. Whammo, 20 minutes later I walk out with a brand new SP3 (since my warranty is still good)!

The tech looked it over and then had me look at the screen from a very steep angle (ie looking down at the tablet almost edge-on, but just enough to see the screen). There was a very faint yellow line down the left-hand side of the tablet (again, landscape mode), which he said indicated that the screen was failing. I was surprised since I've had zero other problems, but I didn't argue...

Obviously I don't know how this would have gone if I was outside the warranty period, whether they would RTM this issue or not. But I thought I'd post about it in case anyone has similar inking issues, since the cause is somewhat surprising. BTW, I'm in Canada, where even the Microsoft Store staff are friendly and polite :p .

On a sour note, at noon on a Wednesday the MS store was empty but the Apple store was 3/4 full :( .

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...BTW, I'm in Canada, where even the Microsoft Store staff are friendly and polite...>>

...I was under the impression that in Canada, everyone being friendly and polite was a given!

8. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Mostly, but Apple 'geniuses' usually slap and laugh at customers. True story!

9. Azzart

Ok. I'm back again with a new problem.
    I bought a new model, changed from i3 to the much more powerful i5 8gb.
    My problem is Internet Explorer, the Metro app version: on the i3 it worked perfectly, with the i5 it makes the Surface too hot for the simple tasks it performs, making the fan go skyrocketing without any real reason. Just browsing this forum or facebook can trigger the fan to the excess.
    It seems to be something less prone to occur on the desktop version and I know from a web search it is something that happens to others too. Did anyone find a solution to this? I hate the power draining it does (I mean, 10% in just 20 minutes is insane!), moreso since working in Photoshop is less power hungry than this.

I also can't for all the hells choose google as my search engine: when I get to the page with the 'install' button I press it and nothing happens.
    But that's a minor bug, I'm actually liking Bing more than Google anyway. :)

10. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As for the fan issue, try installing an ad blocker. I have found that many ad engines are so poorly optimized that their Javascript just get stuck in loops. Blocking some of these ads fixes that annoying issue, I've found. Take note, though, that blocking ads will negatively impact the sites you support, so it's worth adding your favourite sites to the whitelist (if those sites live off of ad revenue).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.