Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

When this happens on my desktop, I know it's time to clean the unit. Dust build up causes heat problems and random freezing (heat causing freezing, yeah, that sounds weird). Wonder how sensitive these units are to dust?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't seem to find the air injection port to blow out the dust bunnies...:(

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I can't wait to have a Core M laptop/tablet =)

4. dstrauss

Amen! It will be a relief in many ways (except performance - I can hear the wailing now - no thermal throttling but no umpf!)

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Being as I have always configured my mobile iCore CPUs to sit at the minimum clock (~800 MHz) since my SP1... I don't foresee a problem for me =)

6. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No I don't think that's it. Dust shouldn't be causing problems with freezing like this. Think about our smartphones. I have so much dust in my smartphone from the crap in my pockets that it's gotten behind my screen. If that's the case, my phone should be freezing up too, but it never does.

This freezing issue is definitely a software thing. I have no heat problems whatsoever. It only ever heats up when I have VMware open and am running something in Windows 7.

I suppose I'll just have to assign time next weekend to refresh my Win8.1 install...

7. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've seen random freezing issues on about five separate systems. Two fixed with new motherboards. A couple others now in the graveyard. My kid had his fairly new college laptop freezing randomly on a regular basis. Mightily proud of him fixing it by finding a corrupt driver. Took him nearly a week to figure out which one it was. Personally, I would spend a week before a wipe and load (last desperate attempt). Hopefully a refresh will do it.

8. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah normally I'll spend the time to troubleshoot this thing, I've already spent countless hours in the Event Logs trying to find the culprit. (This freezer is a freaking ninja! So far no errors/warnings/criticals in the logs! And I don't BSOD, just freeze up and I need to hold the power button to shut it down.)

Unfortunately I haven't got time to truly dedicate towards troubleshooting this little bugger. Luckily, I have a WIM image file that contains all the applications I need pre-installed (I always build one right after I'm done installing all my primary applications, so I can just restore to that image. Everything after that is just "setting it up" just so again.

9. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine too! I thought theres something wrong with the pen since it fell off a table just a few days before the firmware update. I have a quick solution though, reinsert the AAAA battery with the tip touching the screen. Everything will turn back to normal.

10. dstrauss

Well, I went ahead and replaced battery - seems more stable now (tic tic tic tic tic)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.