Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

It happens very often for me. None of my pens register. Sometimes removing the battery helps, but not all the time.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I have two pens and when this happens, none of the pens would work on the digitizer. That's why I think it is caused by something tablet-related instead of pen-related.

3. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure if my issue is with the digitizer or pen. I also have two pens but only one with me at a time. Sometimes a pen won't work or will stop working. I have to remove the pen battery so I guess it is the pen. So far, it only happened a couple of times and removing the battery seems to fix it.

4. lister_yu

lister_yu Pen Pal - Newbie

bent?

there are four surface pro 3 running where I work and all of them are bent. If I put them on the table (screen down) there is about 2mm space in the center.
    anyone else has that problem?

5. palaudawg

palaudawg Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I have. Mine was slightly bent but with care I was able to bend it back to normal. The SP3 seems very flexible at the top edge. Not good!

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The VaporMag Casing that the SP3 uses has no metal memory, so bending it can lead to catastrophic metal fatigue and ultimately to failure of the case. If it is bent I would recommend an exchange....

palaudawg likes this.
  7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Old thread from Nov 2014, I resurrect thee!

So lately my SP3 has been freezing out of the blue. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to this, it just... happens. I could go perhaps 3 days without any issues, then one day it might happen twice. Another 8 days without issue, then the following 2 days it freezes up once each day. When it freezes, it just sits there. No fan activity, doesn't respond to any input (mouse, keyboard, touch screen, power button), nadda.

As well, I don't seem to recall there being a pattern to what I am doing that might cause it. Sometimes it will freeze up when I have just opened up a MUI app (say Skype or Mail), sometimes it will freeze up when it's merely idling. Twice it has frozen up upon opening Outlook 2010; once while the splash logo was showing and once after it had opened up the program and starting syncing my accounts.

Anyone else have any similar problems with freezing? The event logs are completely void of any unusual behavior. The only errors the Event Viewer are loss of power to the kernel due to my hard booting the unit (hold power button for 10 seconds). I've been keeping the machine as up to date as possible via Windows Updates. And FWIW I have not installed any net new applications probably since Oct/Nov, only updates to some of them.

I have considered doing a Reset, but right now I'm just too busy with work projects to want to have to sit down and re-install the applications again.

8. buraku

buraku Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

To diagnose this issue you need to be able to get a kernel memory dump when machine hangs. From this dump Microsoft Support Services will be able to determine the reason, if a hardware issue its more difficult to get info from dump, but if due to a driver or so it will be obvious from the dump. You can do this by connecting a USB keyboard and when problem occurs with key combination as its stated in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff545499(v=vs.85).aspx you can get a manual dump.

daver likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Latest (January) firmware update applied and things were ok for a week - now the dreaded pen problems have randomly returned:
    • sometimes just quits writing (requiring restart)
    • ink vectoring or strange little squiggles
    • lays down ink without even touching screen (pen tip a few mm above screen)
    WHAT THE HECK IS POSESSING MY SPRO 3? OMG - it's acting like my HP Slate 500 all over again!

10. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is great. I shall try this out. Thank you!

Also FWIW, I don't use f.lux, at least not since I read that there are still issues with the SP3 and f.lux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.