Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same here, no wifi issues at all and certainly no pen connection issues. My device has been working flawlessly from day 1.

2. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, yesterday my SP3 was in my bag for several hours with keyboard cover attached, and when I went to take it out, it was sizzling hot and the battery was dead. After charging, I tried to power it on, but it wouldn't come on until finally I did the volume up/power button combo.

I remember reading on these forums that several people had experienced this issue a while back, but since it hadn't happened to me, I didn't pay much attention. I just tried doing a search but didn't turn up much. Is there a fix for this? Is it still happening to others of you? Has it become a recurring issue for anyone?

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Most likely a key or power button was hit in the bag and it woke up, I use snug sleeve and this has never happen to me....

4. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

That makes sense, I guess, though my SP3 was in a pretty snug laptop sleeve. I just wondered if there was a fix from MS in place or coming.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

No one can fix an accidently pushed Power button but the owner personally.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The other possibility, as you said several hours, if it was over 4 it would attempt to enter into a Hibernation State and the machine does wake up momentarily to do this so if a Win32 Application Woke as well or other Process it can prevent the device from entering into hibernation successfully while preventing the device from entering into S0iX as well...

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I used to have a similar problem with my T904 waking in my bag. It turned out to be Wireless-Wake-on-Lan.

Probably that isn't your problem. But my side tracking comment about it is that it never got hot doing this. It is in a form fitting case, so it had no room to breathe, but Haswell idles amazingly cool (can't wait to see Core M). The major difference though is that the T904 is more like a "laptop", so the screen wasn't on. When I took it out of my bag it wasn't even warm let alone hot. Add ~3W of screen heat too it though an that is probably a different story.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I used to have a similar problem...It turned out to be Wireless-Wake-on-Lan...>>

Mesosphere raises a good suggestion, here. I have had to stamp out this particular "feature" on more than one tablet and even on my desktop PC, which insisted in springing back to life constantly! Try unchecking the box in Device Manager for a few days and see if that fixes things...

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I actually don't think this is possible with the default SP3 drivers... there's nothing in the Marvell's Advanced tab for WWOL.

10. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I had that problem, and in my case it was my Logitech ultrathin Bluetooth mouse that was waking up the tablet.
    Apparently there is no way in the Sp3 to prevent a Bluetooth device from waking up the tablet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.