Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukie

Dukie Pen Pal - Newbie

I just did and in fact it did, but the win 8.1 system resett was in fact pretty quick for me (average of 30 min before everything was like before) Thank you for the tip and for the issue around bluetooth we will just have to wait and see when other also install it. Hopefulle MS will be aware of it and adress it. I may also add that after the update I getting a new unknown device and its called " EXTERNAL BLUETOOTH DEVICE DRIVER" I tried to remove it / uninstall it, let it be and deactived it but with the same result. Maybe other users can check this after the new update and see if they also getting it.

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes thats correct the i5 model... I hope this is fixed soon since its annoying thats for sure. I have to remember if I want to go to this site that I have to be in desktop mode. others had the problem with craigslist etc.

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad there are other users confirming this issue here! Thanks to jnjroach, Dukie and Daver. Since it is quite likely to be a driver issue related to Tuesday's firmware update, I'm gonna describe my issue a little more in detail.
    In fact, I forgot that Sep 9th was a patch Tuesday when I posted the issue. Just now I realized and went to check update history, and I came back to the forum to see if others are confirming that this is related to the firmware update.
    We know that pairing multiple bluetooth devices to a computer may cause these devices interfere and slightly reduce there performance, and the most direct result is lag/delay. For my Surface Pro 3, I experience flawless performance when only the Bluetooth mouse is being used. However, I also have a Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard for Android and Windows Tablets) that I use rarely. Even before the firmware update, I can sense lag when both the mouse and the keyboard were being used. Lag in the mouse is much more noticeable than that of a keyboard. It's not quite easy to describe, but if you use high performance mice often, you might be able to sense that. If you can't, pair more bluetooth devices to your Surface Pro LOL.

Also tried to roll back the driver for the Bluetooth adapter and nothing changed. I understand bluetooth relies on a series of components, so it's quite hard to isolate the one that is affected by yesterday's update and is responsible for this issue.

Now come to the issue after yesterday's firmware update. After the update, the mouse shows lag EVEN IF only the mouse is being used. No keyboard at the same time. However, the lag does not always exist. The mouse behaves in a "flawlessly-delay-flawlessly" pattern, with over 80% of time in the delay section.
    Then comes the keyboard. I just figured out that the keyboard, though also worked flawlessly before the update, is getting weird. It gets disconnected sometimes, which never happened before. Especially when I hit Caps Lock key - that's when the disconnection is most likely to occur. I tried re pairing it, but does not work. Tried it with other laptops, and the issue is gone. I don't recall having such issue before this update.

I think we can at least come to the conclusion that something about bluetooth driver is wrong with Tuesday's firmware updates. Symptoms may vary case to case, and some are not quite easy to be noticed. Workarounds may be possible, but undoubtedly the ultimate solution depends on Microsoft. So we'd probably find a way to tell MSFT about it..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Definitely sounds like a driver problem, since the updates yesterday do affect the Wifi/BT card. I only have 3 Bluetooth devices: my mouse, my phone, and the stylus pen. Since the Pen is really just a trigger, and my phone is almost never connected to my Surface, I have nothing to really hog the BT bandwidth on my device and my mouse is always a little bit choppy but never laggy.

5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

When it comes to peripherals like keyboards and mice, I'm a perfectionist and believe me that there is something wrong after yesterday's update. I've sold some bluetooth mice that I considered cannot move "smoothly enough". SP3's bluetooth adapter worked great with some mice I had, including Logitech T630, Dell WM540, Dell WM713 and this Razer Orichi 2013 that I'm using now. Smoothness is the top concern when choosing a bluetooth mouse to work with.....
    In fact, Orochi 2013 is a wired/wireless(bluetooth) dual mode mouse. Regarding delay, I can sense none between the two modes prior to this update. Now there is clearly some. As I said, it's not always in the laggy mode. Sometimes it works great for a few seconds! But I cannot figure out the "change of lagginess" pattern yet.

Update: Just contacted Surface Support Team and reported this potential issue. The agent was quite friendly and said the team is collecting feedback from Tuesday's firmware update. I gave her the link to this thread and hope their team can soon confirm & fix the issue. Not everyone uses a bluetooth device, not all bluetooth users will notice this, but it bothers some of us....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  6. Dukie

Dukie Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your input, I just did a whole formatation and startet everything from the beginning. And indeed the difference are only after the yesterday update. I actually startet typing just now and it just disconnected and connected. And like I said it happens just random. I tried not to install the bluetooth keyboard (logitech k810) before the update this time butforgot, but honestly I dont think it would make any difference. (I though it could be a bug if you have bluetooth units connected *before the september update* I tried every other options possible and more and more people confirming having the same problem. (Not have connected bluetooth earplugs this time, both worked perfect since day 1 before this)

Great that you contacted MS themself, some post here adressing exacly this issiue and since Im using this as a school-computer hopefully they will adress this rather quick. :)

lonaysta likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have just used mine for a few hours with Microsoft Wedge Keyboard and Logitech Ultra Mini Mouse. Zero trouble.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I basically did the 'remove everything and re-install windows' thing mentioned here a few times and, although some feel that you shouldn't have to do it you might as well. It's worth the small amount of time. My i7 fan actually stays off or super low until I push it and then returns to normal. It's actually quieter than the i5 it replaces (Yeah, I know, madness). Then again I also run with a tweaked power profile.

9. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I too did the reset (i5/8/256) just a few days after getting my SP3. Noticed wifi started losing connection after sleep. Once I reset, there were no more issues. Depending on what tasks I'm doing, most of the time the fan doesn't come on, but if it does it only runs a couple of minutes and then goes off. I have to say I'm loving my SP3. I use a BT keyboard at my desk with an old wifi mouse I like. No problems with the keyboard/Sp3. So far this little Tinkerbelle SP3 is everything I'd hoped for...great piece of tech!

10. Dukie

Dukie Pen Pal - Newbie

I just noticed a weird thing, like some others have said it seems that it will dissconnect when you use caps lock in the social media. I just tried and its really weird, but I still dont know if that is the case or its just random. Sometimes when entering capslock it will just light up and then lose the connection. Will however try to us the shift buttom more. Had the latest update with a resettet OS and the issiue indeed are there, only after the september update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.